Skills: Rig Electrician, Electrical Engineering, Instrument & Controls Engineer
Experience: 6 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States
Protection and Controls Engineer
Can be based in Atlanta, Denver, Iowa or Austin
Save Protection and Controls Engineer
About the job
The company is a Federal Contractor and subject to Executive Order 14042 concerning COVID-19 vaccination requirements for employees of Federal Contractors except in limited circumstances where an employee is legally entitled to an exemption.
We are seeking a full-time Protection & Controls Electrical Engineer with background in high voltage substation and transmission system protection schemes for utility or generation clients.
Technical responsibilities will include;
- The design of any/all of the following: high voltage one line and three-line diagrams; current and potential protection schemes, computer modeling/analysis of electrical systems;
- Preparation of specifications for equipment and systems; report preparation; applying codes and standards, and performing and reviewing design computations.
- Position will be responsible for some lead design efforts, with expectations of performing design duties with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to determine client requirements and coordinate technical efforts within discipline areas as necessary, managing a design budget and schedule, and be able to demonstrate proficiency in these areas.
- Requirements BSEE from an accredited college or university, relevant experience with electric utility substations up to 345kV PE License required Proficiency in protective relay coordination and settings calculations for HV and EHV transmission systems.
- Experience with common substations and transmission line protection schemes, such as step-distance, POTT, DCB, and DUTT
- Experience with electrical system analysis software such as ASPEN, ETap, SKM, PSS/E and PSLF a plus Knowledgeable of FERC and NERC requirements as they pertain to electric utility substation reliability requirements a plus Familiarity with Microsoft Office products (MSWord, Excel, and MSProject) SCADA, RTU, programming a plus Substation integration/automation a plus Field testing and commissioning of substation equipment a plus Factory acceptance witness testing of power transformers, switch gear or control panels a plus Equipment specification writing Relay settings experience a plus
- Proficient with substation protection and control design and industry standards
- Capable of reviewing and producing design drawings, including one-line diagrams, AC/DC schematics, wiring diagrams, and control panel elevations
- Must have the ability to work permanently in the US
- As a member-owned company for over 100 years, we have been improving lives by surpassing complex challenges in power generation and delivery, transportation, water, governmental and military facilities, building services, and the environment. We inspire by embracing a global mindset, diversity and training to build member skills that stretch the imagination. We provide a collegial work environment where members feel connected to their colleagues and clients, as well as fulfilled in their work.
- We invite you to join our team! A Great Place to Work:
- Become a Member Once you are hired , you become a member of our member-owned company. Our Core Values speak to the capabilities, initiative, integrity, creativity, and commitment that make you, as a member, our most important asset.
- As a member, you have the opportunity to chart your own career path and play a role in shaping our mutual future