Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Skills: Manufacturing Engineering, Structural Engineering
Experience: 15 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Wood is currently seeking a Lead Structural Engineer to join our Life Sciences (Biotechnology / Pharmaceuticals) team in our Center City Philadelphia, Pennsylvania office to develop life-changing and in many cases, life-saving solutions for our clients.
While this position will report into our Philadelphia office, due to our current remote capacity, we are also considering candidates outside of the Philadelphia area.
On a global scale, Wood serves the Life Sciences, Oil & Gas, Federal, Infrastructure, Manufacturing, Mining, and Power Industries. Our Philadelphia office has become the Center of Excellence for our global Life Sciences network, providing full-service pharmaceutical and biotechnology engineering, design, procurement, and project management services.
We're looking for an energetic, self-motivated individual with the ability to provide leadership in execution of all phases of structural design. Project sizes will vary and will include both existing building improvements and new construction.
***Hybrid or Remote work schedule.
- Serve as the Lead Engineer or the project Technical Authority on projects and hold advanced level specialization in area of expertise, structural engineering.
- Technical expert/specialist who develops and evaluates plans and criteria for a variety of projects and services that are carried out by others.
- Assesses the feasibility and soundness of proposed engineering designs, products, equipment, and other engineering deliverables.
- Specialist who is recognized as a technical expert within the company. Possesses a thorough knowledge of general principles and theories in a professional field and contributes significantly to the solution of applied problems.
- Performs complex assignments often requiring development of new or improved processes or techniques.
- Uses advanced technical knowledge to perform engineering assignments and produce engineering deliverables including complex problems and provide guidance and direction to team.
- Lead a structural design team through all phases of design.
- Write reports such as feasibility studies, design criteria, and recommendations.
- Provide technical guidance and direction to the project team.
- Supervise delivery of any subcontracted design.
- Displays a solid working knowledge of construction document preparation (e.g. graphics, detailing, specifications) as well as organization and distribution during all stages of development (e.g. review, bid, permit, etc.)
- Provides structural services while maintaining a sense of urgency and prioritization of tasks.
- Leads, participates, and coordinates the preparation and quality review of contract documents, including documents being completed by multiple Wood offices.
- Participates in the interdisciplinary design coordination reviews of project-related documentation to ensure accuracy and implementation of engineering solutions.
- Responsible for meeting discipline cost and schedule requirements in production of deliverables, coordinates own work schedule, and prepares progress reports when needed.
- Performs site observations such as recording and reporting of existing conditions and construction progress and effectively addresses problems and questions as they occur during construction.
- Reviews vendor documents and shop drawings.
- Helps to establish a culture of technical excellence by being a role model and communicating expectations to junior engineers
- Establishes effective working relationships with colleagues, clients, and officials.
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science degree in civil, architectural, or structural engineering from an ABET accredited program is required; Master's degree is a plus.
- Professional Engineer license is required
- 15+ years' of experience in the design and analysis of structural systems
- Experience delivering a range of projects from concept through detailed design. Includes developing design calculations, numerical modelling, drawing development, and specification development.
- Design experience of steel, concrete, and masonry with emphasis on seismic design.
- Knowledgeable of local and national code such as IBC, AISC, ACI, ASCE 7
- Ability to follow and implement established quality procedures and ensures that all work accomplished is procedurally compliant.
- Experience working within a quality system based on ISO 9000 or NQA-1.
- Competent using discipline specific technical software such as:
- RISA 3D
- Blue Beam
- Experience in preparing Specifications preferred
- International experience a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, decision making capabilities, problem resolution skills, and a sense of initiative are important.
- Ability to split your time between the Center City office and working from home (1-2 days in the office if needed)
- Flexibility to travel (~10%) required
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.