Skills: Geotechnical Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Wood is currently seeking an experienced Intermediate Rock Mechanics Engineer to help develop, build and support our growing Rock Mechanics Group across our Environment & Infrastructure Solutions businesses.
The office location is Oakville but is flexible to any Wood office location in Ontario.
The Rock Mechanics Engineer will be responsible for supporting and developing a team, providing expertise and applying rock mechanic principles to surface and underground mine design problems. Full project scope, from study level to the detailed design and construction with the requirement to liaise with other technical specialists. This is a critical role in our team; as we expand our Underground Mining business and support our strong surface mining activities.
Strong experience in mining rock mechanics, rock engineering, investigations, analysis and design
- Support and develop the Rock Mechanics team
- Provide leadership and mentoring to multi-disciplinary teams
- Assist in marketing our mining capabilities and services, and help expand Wood's presence
- Assist in training staff and expand the teams' capabilities
- Demonstrated experience in project management, including budget, schedule and deliverable performance
- Support underground and open pit mine engineering at various levels from conceptual studies to detailed engineering and closure
- Knowledge of civil rock engineering excavations (foundations, tunnels and rock cuts)
- Knowledge and experience with hydrogeological investigations, analysis and modelling
- Perform and Oversee:
- Design of underground mining, stopes, pillars, infrastructure and ground support, using analytical and numerical tools
- Design of ground support requirements and of backfill requirements
- Design of open pits, slope stability analysis and determination using analytical and numerical tools
- Geomechanical site investigation work for underground and open pit mining including laboratory testing
- NI 43-101 Rock Mechanics Design Reporting
- Foundation and tunnel design also an asset
- Network with staff from other Wood offices and divisions, and participate in cross-sharing of resources; Build strong and enduring relationships between Wood and its clients
Skills / Qualifications
- Degree in Mining / Geotechnical Engineering related to rock mechanics, with 5 to 10 years relevant experience, including underground or open pit operating mine experience, or underground or surface civil construction; economic and backfill experience are considered an asset
- It is essential that candidates have the following skills: ground support design, 2D-3D computer modelling skills, including knowledge or proficiency in numerical modelling using boundary element, finite element, finite difference and/or discrete element methods
- These positions require individuals with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, those who can effectively run meetings and communicate clearly and accountably with clients, staff and co-workers
- Excellent organization/time management skills, a strong work ethic, and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team, are preferred
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.