Skills: Geotechnical Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Wood is currently seeking a Junior Rock Mechanics Engineer or EIT to help support our growing Rock Mechanics Group across our Central Ontario Environment & Infrastructure Solutions business.
The office is located in Oakville, ON with flexibility to work remotely.
The Junior Rock Mechanics Engineer will be responsible for applying rock mechanic principles to surface and underground mine design problems. Support full project scope, from study level to the detailed design and construction with the requirement to liaise with other technical specialists.
- Provide engineering design and analysis under supervision of senior technical members, in both the rock engineering and general geotechnical areas;
- Participating in the design and operation of field investigations and construction assessments;
- Assisting in proposal and report preparation
- Assist in design of ground support requirements and of backfill requirements
- Assist in design of open pits, slope stability analysis and determination using analytical and numerical tools
- Participate in geomechanical site investigation work for infrastructure and mining projects including laboratory testing
- Foundation and tunnel design also an asset
Skills / Qualifications
- Degree in Mining / Geotechnical Engineering related to rock mechanics; advanced degree an asset
- up to 5 years relevant experience working on infrastructure and/or mining-related projects
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, those who can effectively participate or run meetings and communicate clearly and accountably with clients, staff and co-workers
- Excellent organization/time management skills, and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- A good working knowledge of AutoCad, Excel, Powerpoint
- Previous experience with Access, Rocscience Software (Dips, Phase2 or RS2, Slide) or Geo-Slope Software (Slope/W, Seep/W) is an asset
- Travel will be required for field activities and meetings, you will be expected to have a valid drivers license and a clean drivers record
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.