Skills: Chemical Engineering
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Reading, England, United Kingdom
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is recruiting for a Senior Consultant with experience in refining and biofuels to join us in Reading, UK. This role resides within the Specialist Engineering & Consulting service line of Wood. The Consulting group provides advice to clients during concept selection and feasibility phases on making the right investment decisions for their projects.
The Senior Consultant will provide technical direction and technology expertise within Specialist Engineering & Consulting and the wider Wood organisation relating to the preparation of proposals and execution of studies and projects.
The Senior Consultant will be called upon to provide advice as a Subject Matter Expert and to provide technology leadership for studies in refining, including in particular biofuels, clean fuels, and residue upgrading. They will work closely with other members of the Consulting team to generate high-quality reports, presentations, simulations, LP and economic models providing a credible and robust technical basis for our recommended concepts that our clients can rely on. They will provide input to our business models for medium and long-term strategic positioning of the group.
A Senior Consultant will demonstrate the following competencies:
- Technology Expertise : Is viewed by both colleagues and customers as a source of high quality advice in their field of technology. Contributes to Wood's business development efforts through attendance or presentation of papers at global conferences.
- Analytical Skills : Can work confidently with data to interpret trends, issues and risks. Generates a range of options and appraises them before communicating more widely. Is able to design or adapt analytical tools to suit each situation.
- Customer Focus : Takes personal responsibility for identifying and resolving most technical and execution issues. Actively manages relationships with key customers / licensors outside of project commitments.
- Professional Network : Utilises networks within customer organisations, licensors, industry and / or governmental bodies to gain an understanding on market developments and work opportunities. Represents Wood at conferences and is frequently requested to present papers for publishing. Contributes to strengthening the team's relationships with internal and external third-parties.
- Commercial Understanding : Clearly understands commercial imperatives for multiple projects. Is able to evaluate the main threats to the commercial position and directly develop, or provide support to internal third parties to develop contingency plans to mitigate commercial risks.
- Technical Design : Guides and coaches others to achieve a high standard in technical design using Wood, client and industry standards and data in line with project requirements. Has an in depth technical understanding to enable analysis and interpretation of technical designs.
- Continuous Improvement : Strives to achieve and improve not only personal performance but also the performance of the the Consulting group in general. Develops technical toolkit items to improve efficiency. Provides guidance across the business unit, for example acting as 'Cold Eyes' reviewer.
Skills / Qualifications
- Degree qualified in the relevant Engineering Discipline or Science (Chemical / Process Engineering preferred)
- Chartered Engineer or Chartered Scientist.
- Fellow of an appropriate professional institution.
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- A credible expert in the refining field and recognised as such within the industry.
- Up-to-date technical expertise in a range of refining technologies, e.g. biofuels, clean fuels, residue upgrading, as well as ideally having experience in crude characterisation, configuration studies, and/or decarbonisation studies.
- Has worked on a range of studies across different markets and understands the tools used and levels of detail required to support the early phase decision making process.
- Has relevant experience in FEED, EPC, Commissioning and / or Operations such that Clients recognise the experience from later phases being considered in their early study phase.
- Good communication and presentation skills
- An expert in the use of steady state or dynamic software (process, flow assurance, economic analysis etc.)
- Able to analyse / review models developed by others to enhance performance.
- Respectful to others and tolerant to alternative points of view.
- Good at working in teams.
- Flexible in thinking and in work methods.
- Keen to learn and keen to share learning with others.
- Demonstrates an innovative approach to problem-solving.
- Ability to support several studies at the same time without missing milestones.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.