Skills: Environmental Engineer
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Wood has an immediate, full time employment opportunity for a Junior Terrestrial/Wildlife Biologist to support a wide variety of field assignments across Ontario. The successful candidate will report to the Terrestrial Ecosystem Team Lead and work among a team of Biologists on a broad range of resource development projects across Canada.
- Assist with desktop background research and data collection, as well as preparation of general permit applications
- Conduct field surveys for terrestrial and wetland plants, wildlife and wildlife habitat and species at risk (birds, reptiles, mammals and amphibians)
- Maintaining and organizing accurate and detailed fieldnotes as well as photo documentation records
- Data entry and analysis and data submissions to regulatory agencies
- Assisting with report and proposal preparation
Skills / Qualifications
- Post-secondary education with a major in ecology, biology or environmental studies;
- Strong wildlife and plant identification skills (visually, auditory, and signs);
- A minimum of two (2) to five (5) years' of applied field experience with wildlife surveys, preferably from the consulting industry;
- Must have strong technical report writing skills and the ability to compile field data into summary reports including natural heritage reports, environmental impact studies, terrestrial existing conditions reports and species at risk assessments;
- A good understanding of wildlife habitat requirements, particularly for Species at Risk;
- Willingness to work flexible hours including field work under a variety of conditions;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Proficient with Windows Office (Word, Excel);
- A good understanding of Federal and Provincial wildlife policies, legislation, and guidelines;
- Valid Ontario driver's license and access to a vehicle.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.