Skills: Environmental, Safety & Training, Maintenance Technician
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is seeking a motivated, skilled Operations and Maintenance Technician (Environmental) to join our team in Louisville, KY. The successful candidate will assist our Certified Operator with operation and maintenance of a closed landfill and its associated wastewater treatment facility. Duties will include grounds maintenance (mowing, minor erosion/turf repairs, fence repair/maintenance, etc.), operation, maintenance and minor repair of pumps, piping, controls and other mechanical equipment associated with the treatment plant and grounds maintenance. Duties may also include sampling of soil, surface water, and groundwater monitoring wells, record keeping, or other field tasks in support of environmental remediation and may include work at other local project sites. The employee would work under general supervision of engineers, geologists, and environmental scientists, and report to the Certified Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator on-site. This position requires an individual with effective communication skills as client and team interactions are expected. Candidates should be self-motivated, have experience working in a team environment, and be able to work on projects with variable complexity.
We offer competitive salaries and this part time position qualifies for our comprehensive benefits package including medical, vision, & dental coverage, 401K Matching, Educational Reimbursement, and a variety of Training and Development Programs to help you develop the skills you need to succeed in your chosen career path.
This position will primarily support our operations at a closed landfill facility located in Bullitt County Kentucky but may also include support for a wide variety of other environmental projects. Some of the responsibilities of this position will include:
- Collect field measurements and readings from operating equipment and field instruments, record those data on field reports, and submit those reports to others.
- Operate pumps, valves, control equipment, etc. as needed to manage treatment plant operations.
- Be observant, watch for maintenance issues, and bring potential problems to supervisor's attention.
- Perform general maintenance and upkeep of facility, including cleaning, painting, organizing of supplies/materials, etc.
- Use testing equipment and measuring devices.
- Evaluate field measurements and readings, and in consultation with others, make needed adjustments to operating equipment.
- Safe and effective operation of tractor, bush hog and other grounds maintenance equipment.
- Perform light construction work including piping and structural components.
- Assist in procurement and installation of equipment and parts.
- Work with Plant Operator and scientific staff on treatment system operation and upkeep.
- Set up, maintain, and calibrate equipment.
- Observe and document routine construction operations and prepare routine field reports.
- Observe and document contractor work on short term construction/repair projects.
- Interact with client, contractor, or subcontractor representatives on project sites.
- Perform a variety of non-technical tasks designed to assist others in preparing for and/or conducting office, laboratory, or field activities.
- Assist in other non-technical projects as appropriate.
- Work at remote sites around construction equipment and impacted environmental media.
- Occasional overtime or out of town overnight stays may be required; and
- Some fieldwork may require working with hazardous materials and in hazardous conditions.
- Will spend most or all of time in the field, including at the landfill site, remote from the office, as part of on-site team.
Skills / Qualifications
- High school graduate or GED
- Valid driver's license and insurable driving record
- Must pass Health and Safety Training and Defensive Driving Courses upon hire
- Understanding of applicable scientific methods and technical methodologies
- Ability to use laboratory and field test equipment in an effective and safe manner
- Ability to understand procedural manuals and execute work orders
- Ability to operate power tools, machinery and power equipment safely and effectively
- Attention to detail and ability to follow directions
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to occasionally walk long distances or climb steep hillsides
- Ability to work outside during poor weather conditions
- Ability to occasionally lift and carry up to 50 lbs and/or use shovels, rakes, etc. when needed
- Ability to prepare daily reports and submit those reports on a timely basis, and
- Proficiency in Word and Excel computer programs a plus
- HAZWOPER certificaton preferred
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.