Skills: Design Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Wood is seeking a Transportation Designer to join our team of transportation professionals based in Burlington, Cambridge, Oakville, Richmond Hill offices with the flexiblity to work remotely.
As a MicroStation / Inroads Technologist / Designer you will contribute to Woods' industry leading projects involving the study, planning, functional, and preliminary design of transportation solutions for Regional and Municipal government projects.
The range of projects you will participate in may include: the study, planning, functional, and preliminary design of infrastructure such as complete streets, pathways, cycling facilities, rapid transit facilities, structures and other transportation systems that provide for walking and cycling.
- Determine design criteria by preparing technical analysis and design; including cost estimating & quantity calculations;
- Preparation of preliminary geometric, grading and drainage designs for arterial roads and transit systems;
- Design horizontal and vertical alignments including roadway geometry;
- Design grading and drainage solutions;
- Prepare preliminary geometric, grading and drainage designs for arterial roads and transit systems;
- Coordinate with various supporting multi-disciplinary teams; traffic, structural, water resources, natural sciences, including Project Managers and CAD staff;
- Prepare typical and design cross-sections; take-off quantities & prepare of contract drawings and documents;
- Develop and assess alternative planning solutions and designs;
- Draft and review detailed design drawings and presentation materials of highways, urban roads, interchanges and intersections;
- Prepare and run contract specifications and documentation;
- Collaborate with all disciplines team members, sub-consultants, clients, and agencies;
- Review and adhere to Wood's health and safety, environmental, and quality standards, operating procedures and policies;
- Enforce safety rules and correct unsafe acts or conditions
Skills / Qualifications
- Post-secondary education with an Undergraduate Degree in Civil Engineering or a Civil Engineering Technologist Diploma;
- 5+ years' experience in the transportation design engineering field including all aspects of highway / freeway design (e.g. alignments, geometrics, staging, utilities, roadside safety, quantity calculation, contract documents, constructability);
- proficiency using ArcGIS would be an asset
- Professional licensing with PEO or an OACETT membership would be an asset;
- Practical knowledge of the MTO, TAC design procedures and standards;
- Advanced proficiency with various software packages; Microstation / InRoads, AutoCAD / Civil 3D, Microsoft Office;
- Demonstrated experience with technical writing, minute preparation;
- Ability to effectively prioritize multiple projects;
- Working knowledge of other road design requirements (e.g. drainage / hydraulic design, environmental design / mitigation measure, engineering surveys, geotechnical investigations and design);
- Excellent communication with the ability to work in a team-based environment
- Provide guidance / mentoring to junior design staff;
- Valid Ontario driver's license with a clean drivers abstract
- Must be eligible to work in Canada without sponsorship.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.