Posted: Nov 30, 2021
Posted: Nov 30, 2021
Skills: Student / Recent Grad, Geotechnical Engineer
Experience: 3 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is currently seeking a Junior Geotechnical Engineer with 0 to 3 years of experience to support our team in the Knoxville, TN office. The candidate will support design (geotechnical modeling and analyses, foundation design, etc.) and field activities (soil boring advancement, instrument installation and monitoring, field inspections, etc.). Candidates should be self-motivated, be committed to working in a team environment, and be able to work on projects with variable complexity.
- Assist with geotechnical field investigation efforts including SPT drilling and sampling, undisturbed sampling, DCP testing, CPT testing, instrumentation installation, and subcontractor oversight.
- Coordinate laboratory testing assignments, data compilation, and technical review of laboratory results.
- Interpret and check field and laboratory data.
- Under direction of senior engineering staff, prepare engineering calculations/analyses related to material quantities, embankments, shallow and deep foundations, settlement, soil and rock slope stability, and retaining walls.
- Under direction of senior engineering staff, perform slope stability, seepage, and/or settlement analyses in support of dams and levees, waste landfills, etc.
- Assist in preparation of technical reports, including compiling analytical data.
- Assist in planning the execution of work, including subcontractor procurement.
- Provide oversight of subcontractors, including utility locators, surveyors, drillers, etc.
- Assist with overseeing field construction of engineering design projects as project needs arise.
- Assist with the preparation of technical proposals, cost estimates, engineering reports, drawings, specifications, and other deliverables associated with design projects, including day to day correspondence.
- Interface with clients for assigned projects; communicate with clients on an ongoing basis; respond effectively to meets clients' needs.
Skills / Qualifications
- B.S. in Civil Engineering or other related technical fields from an ABET-accredited college/university with a focus in Geotechnical Engineering is required.
- M.S. in Civil/Geotechnical Engineering is preferred.
- 0-3 years of experience in geotechnical engineering or related projects.
- Demonstrate verbal communication, writing, and technical presentation skills
- Demonstrate organizational skills for keeping multiple tasks on track from concept through delivery.
- Demonstrate a safety-first work ethic.
- Computer proficient (including AutoCAD Civil 3D, Microsoft Office suite, and Adobe Pro). K nowledge and experience with AutoCAD Civil 3D, slope stability and seepage analyses, and foundation design software is preferred.
- Team player and technical contributor
- Ability to apply technical thinking to define and solve complicated design problems.
- Flexibility to work outside normal business hours as required.
- Requires some travel and willingness to work outdoors.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds and traverse over rugged terrain.
- Pass drug test and background check, and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving (MVR) policy.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.