Skills: Software Specialist
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Do you have a keen interest in GIS, remote sensing, application development, and/or web mapping and an enthusiasm for developing solutions to complex and challenging problems? Are you looking for the ideal launch pad for a rewarding and fulfilling career in sustainable infrastructure and environmental consultancy? If so, we are recruiting for a high-calibre Senior Consultant to join our team.
Our GIS and Spatial Analytics teams deliver a wide spectrum of services including application development; database development; mobile mapping; remote sensing; technology consulting; spatial analysis; and web mapping. These services are provided to a range of high-profile customers working in the UK and overseas. Our work is diverse and delivered across multiple sectors - including climate change, defence, energy transition and renewable energy, government, minerals, planning, power, transport, waste and water.
Recent examples include the development of GIS analysis tools and web portals relating to climate change assessment and resilience planning - including recent work in the British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Grenada, Kazakhstan, Iraq and the Western Balkans; development of renewable energy generation sites, including UK offshore windfarms and solar/windfarm in the Middle East and Australia; development of web tools for strategic transport modelling in the West Midlands of England and the Ukraine; work to improve the UK's energy infrastructure, including strategic studies for National Grid and UK nuclear industry; and the development of GIS tools to aid the assessment of water supply and demand in England, Bulgaria, Grenada and Qatar.
Our portfolio of clients includes the: Azerbaijan Ministry for Ecology and Natural Resources; Bristol Water; Caribbean Development Bank; DAERA Northern Ireland; Dwr Cymru Welsh Water; EDF Energy; Environment Agency (England); European Bank for Reconstruction and Development; Hanson Aggregates; Heathrow Airport Limited; Horizon Nuclear Power; High Speed 2 (HS2); Isle of Anglesey Council; JNCC, National Grid; National Water and Sewerage Authority, Grenada; North London Waste Authority; Northumbrian Water, Rio Tinto; RWE Rampion 2; Transport of West Midlands; USACE and the US Navy; United Nations Environment Programme; United Utilities, Wessex Water; Western Power Distribution and the World Bank.
Skills / Qualifications
Prime responsibilities and duties
You will contribute to a diverse range of projects supporting clients across a range of sectors, including climate change, defence, energy transition and renewable energy, government, power, transport and water, both in the UK and overseas.
- Spatial analysis and modelling across a range of environmental and engineering projects;
- Developing desktop and cloud-based analysis workflows and tools;
- Creating and management of ESRI and open-source web solutions;
- Supporting and working with other GIS users within the company;
- Contributing to technical reports and presentations;
- Contributing to technical innovation and development; and
We expect that the successful candidate will be largely home based but with occasional time spent in one of the Wood's UK offices. This will require the successful candidate to be work collaboratively with Wood colleagues and clients using MS Teams. We are also currently evaluating our approaches to future flexible office/home working patterns.
As a company, we also offer a dynamic, but supportive environment for a motivated and talented individual to fulfil their potential. Wood recognises that their people are central to its success as a business. We are therefore committed to a providing a comprehensive framework for the professional development of its staff, including:
- • Access to extensive internal and external training opportunities;
- • An early careers network;
- • A mentoring programme; and
- • Support for gaining chartership through professional institutions.
Experience / qualifications required
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a high-level GIS, remote sensing, data management and web mapping skills; and who is capable and confident in applying these technical skills to a wide range of consultancy projects. We will shortlist candidates using the following qualification and experience criteria:
- A MSc degree-level qualification (or equivalent) in Geographical Information Systems (GIS) or Geomatics and ideally a minimum of 5 years related work experience;
- Advanced knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS, QGIS and/or FME analysis software;
- Ability to develop geoprocessing models and tools using ESRI Model Builder and/or QGIS Processing Modeller;
- Experience of creating web mapping solutions using ESRI or Open Source technology;
- Database management skills and experience - ideally with SQL Server, PostgreSQL or MS Access.
- Cloud computing experience using MS Azure or Amazon Web Services would be an advantage;
- Remote sensing and/or image processing skills applied to environmental applications;
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to collaborate effectively as part of a wider consultancy team;
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills, including being able to write high quality, concise reports;
- Willingness to undertake potential future short-term secondments either in the UK and/or overseas and;
- Experience in the use of MS Office 365 including Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint.
All candidates selected for interview will be asked to present examples of their previous technical work.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.