Skills: Construction Manager, Planner / Scheduler
Other Skills: Wind, Offshore Projects
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Wood is currently recruiting for a passionate Floating Wind Business Manager with a focus on consulting and EPCm (engineering, procurement, construction management) services program for large scale offshore wind projects; working with external partners, internal account managers and Wood's teams in Projects and Operations. The location for this role is flexible within the UK.
As the Floating Wind Business Manager, you will have overall responsibility for leading Wood's floating offshore wind strategy and program delivery in Europe. You will draw on your experience of offshore wind project delivery to inform Wood's:
- Offshore wind engineering services program
- Market and industry positioning and engagement plans
- Account management strategies and action plans
- New technology and service initiatives
The Floating Wind Business Manager will be responsible for the development and execution of business strategy and the delivery of Floating Offshore Wind projects, demonstrating the following competencies:
- Strategy : Works closely with SEC leadership to develop and implement strategy for growth and penetration of the floating offshore wind market and opportunistic business opportunities in fixed offshore wind.
- Business Development : Idenitifies opportunities for future work phases and supports the development of Business Winning Strategies. Builds lasting and mutually beneficial relationships with technology innovators, developers, operators and business associations for the long term financial benefit of Wood. Responsible for developing bids and managing approvals through the business Delegation of Authority remits.
- Leadership and Collaboration : Developes and provides direction and leadership for a core Floating Wind development team with inclusivity of wider business streams and business units across Wood. Motivates others to improve their performance, sets stretch targets and holds individuals accountable.
- Project Execution : Agrees the Project Execution Plan and Quality Assurance Plan with the client in a timely manner. Takes responsibility for the schedule, resources, cost and profit, and monitors these to deliver a positive outcome for both the client and SEC. Maintains timely internal and external reporting in line with the contract and departmental procedures.
- Customer Focus : Creates a credible and professional image to internal and external customers and other stakeholders. Uses their knowledge and expertise to identify the difference between customer wants and their true needs. Takes a proactive approach to obtaining feedback from their clients.
- Risk Management : Understands the contract, sub-contracts and Non-Disclosure Agreements, and ensures the conditions in these are met throughout tender negotiations and project execution.the study. Develops a Risk Matrix for the project and updates this regularly, recording the risk mitigation measures that have been taken. Ensures that team members visiting operating plants, suppliers' works or construction sites are briefed on appropriate health, safety and environmental requirements and have appropriate protective equipment.
- Commercial Understanding : Clearly understands commercial drivers for a project and delivers technical / execution solutions to achieve commercial objectives for all stakeholders. Delivers group profit in line with or in excess of the original expected profit.
- Continuous Improvement : Reviews and implements lessons learnt from past projects. Identifies opportunities for wider collaboration with other Wood Service Lines or offices. Generates a precise End of Project Report, highlighting opportunities for improved performance on future studies.
- Proposal Preparation and Business Development: Lead or provide technical input to sales and proposal activities. Develop project execution plans, schedules and manpower plans at proposal review stage, and organise/ participate in review, when requested.
Skills / Qualifications
Experience in offshore wind developments in the UK or abroad with a broader background in offshore project developments is essential for the role.
- Degree qualified in a relevant Engineering or Project Management Discipline
- Chartered Engineer or Manager.
- Member of an appropriate professional institution.
- Some level of qualification from Association of Project Management or similar (optional)
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Previous experience in a key role on an offshore wind development (engineering, project management or construction).
- Previous experience in a technical or operations managerial / director role.
- Commercial exposure through responsible positions in Proposals, Legal or Commercial.
- Extensive experience in growth and business development
- Proven track record delivering large, complex, multidisciplinary projects and execution of works in an offshore environment
- Strong knowledge of industry standards and offshore regulations
- Knowledge of health & safety, regulatory and environmental legislation associated with offshore construction projects
- Experience in long term planning horizon and scheduling for all contracting activities relating to project delivery
- Experience in implementation of business plan and setting annual team and individual goals
- Proficient in the use of project scheduling, estimating and cost accounting tools and methods.
- Skilled in chairing meetings and facilitating workshops.
- Respectful to others and tolerant to alternative points of view.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills
- Ability to work under pressure and to deliver against tight deadlines
- Good organizational skills with the ability to link commercial awareness to contractual judgement and decision making
- Ability to resolve conflicts and build consensus in decision making
- Ability to adapt quickly to a rapidly changing in working environment and demonstrate a positive attitude to change
- Communicates effectively to build collaboration and influence stakeholders.
- Thinks strategically, takes decisions and delivers results.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.