Skills: Geotechnical Engineer
Experience: 7 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is currently seeking Intermediate Geotechnical Engineer(s) to join our team in Edmonton.
The Alberta Geotechnical group is one of the largest geotechnical groups within Wood and involved in a range of projects from conventional to leading-edge complex assignments in the area of foundations, infrastructure and transportation; design of oil sands and tailings dams, pit walls and waste dump structures in the mining industry; and slope assessment and stabilization work related to geohazards. The diversity in projects and complexity provides the opportunity for a rewarding career in one or more practice areas of choice.
We are currently looking for Intermediate level Geotechnical Engineer(s) to add to the Edmonton office in the following practice areas:
- Tailings dams/oilsands/mining and water dams,
- Foundations/infrastructure/transportation, and
- Geohazards, slope stabilization, and pipelines
The successful candidate(s) for the various positions will have a strong understanding of geotechnical engineering and engineering geology of greater Edmonton with adjoining areas and other parts of AB/BC; as well as great project/client management, construction QA/QC and excellent communication skills. The candidate will play a key role in the organization to support and deliver high-quality engineering services and solutions to our clients. If you have a proven track record in the geotechnical/geological consulting environment, this opportunity will provide both professional and personal satisfaction with excellent opportunities for career progression. Additional details about the position(s) are provided below.
- Use your technical skills to support and deliver high-quality engineering services including geotechnical investigations, analyses, conceptual and detailed engineering designs, technical specifications, drawings, reporting, and construction QA/QC support.
- Maintain technical proficiency, including participation in professional practice groups internally and externally.
- Supervise and/or coordinate field investigations and/or construction inspections as applicable to support projects.
- Use your business sense and communication abilities to maintain and build strong client relationships.
- Use your project management and interpersonal skills to manage projects and support/lead geotechnical and multidisciplinary project teams.
- Mentor, train, and develop junior geotechnical engineering and technologist staff.
- Prepare technical proposals and reports.
- Coordinate with other project managers, other geotechnical staff, and discipline leads to manage project deliverables, ensuring schedules and budgets are achieved.
- Collaborate with other Wood disciplines and offices on various projects in Calgary, Edmonton, Northern Alberta, and occasionally in USA and international locations.
Skills / Qualifications
The ideal candidate will have a strong academic background, and a minimum of 7-10 years relevant geotechnical design and consulting experience. Other skills/qualifications include:
- A university degree with a Bachelor of Science in Civil or Geological Engineering. A Masters or Ph.D. degree in geotechnical or geological engineering from an accredited university is an asset.
- Registered or eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) with the Association of Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA)
- A solid understanding of geotechnical engineering, engineering geology and both field/office experience.
- Experience in geotechnical investigations, geohazard reconnaissance and evaluations of soils and/or hard rock, air-photo/LiDAR interpretations, slope stability evaluation, instrumentation, and construction monitoring. Local experience in the Calgary area and other regions of southern and northern Alberta is preferred.
- Experience with the design, construction, instrumentation, operational reviews and/or reclamation of oil sands waste dumps, pit walls, and/or tailings dams.
- Extensive experience with slope stability, seepage and/or deformation modelling.
- Specific knowledge and understanding of Northern Alberta Oilsands geology and geomorphology would be an asset.
- Strong desire to continually grow in technical and soft skills
- Effective communicator who is motivated to work and contribute to small and large teams
- Keen to mentor other coworkers, including EITs, GIT's, technologists, et al.
- Excellent client relations and communication skills and abilities to manage project deliverables on time and budget.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills to prepare proposals, work scopes, reports, and presentations.
- Unrestricted Class 5 drivers license valid in Alberta and British Columbia, a good driving record, and ability to travel to sites locally or in other parts of Alberta and British Columbia as required.
- A strong commitment to safety and sustainability
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.