Skills: Commercial Management
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Reading, United Kingdom
The Wood SEC team has a global capability and consists of a team of highly specialist Study Managers and Technical Consultants holding many years of experience in the successful delivery of early phase project activities throughout the energy industry.
To manage and administer Specialist Engineering & Consulting (SEC) studies in accordance with the contract terms and conditions and the project execution plan. To manage risk relating to execution of the contract and to manage contract changes as they arise. To manage relationships with Clients, being aware of and responding to customer needs, whilst still achieving study and Wood company objectives. To organise and manage the study team to achieve the health, safety, environmental, schedule, cost and quality requirements of the study. To ensure that Wood's and Client's Health and Safety, Environmental and Quality Management Procedures are followed. To identify and promote further business opportunities for Wood and support proposal preparation, business development and marketing activities within the group.
A Study Manager will be responsible for the execution of Studies (e.g. concept studies, feasibility assessments and pre-FEED), demonstrating the following competencies:
- Project Execution : Agrees the Project Execution Plan and Quality Assurance Plan with the client in a timely manner. Takes responsibility for the study schedule, resources, cost and profit, and monitors these to deliver a positive outcome for both the client and SEC. Maintains accurate and timely internal and external reporting in line with the contract and departmental procedures.
- Team Leadership : Liaises with Discipline Managers to secure appropriate resources to meet the study schedule. Arranges onboarding and regular team meetings to ensure that all staff are aligned to the study objectives, scope of work, work breakdown structures and co-ordination procedures. Motivates others to improve their performance, sets stretch targets and holds individuals accountable.
- Customer Focus : Creates a credible and professional image to internal and external customers and other stakeholders. Uses their knowledge and expertise to identify the difference between customer wants and their true needs. Takes a proactive approach to obtaining feedback from their clients.
- Risk Management : Understands the contract, sub-contracts and Non-Disclosure Agreements, and ensures the conditions in these are met throughout the study. Develops a Risk Matrix for the project and updates this regularly, recording the risk mitigation measures that have been taken. Ensures that team members visiting operating plants, suppliers' works or construction sites are briefed on appropriate health, safety and environmental requirements and have appropriate protective equipment.
- Commercial Understanding : Clearly understands commercial drivers for a project and delivers technical / execution solutions to achieve commercial objectives for all stakeholders. Delivers group profit in line with or in excess of the original expected profit.
- Business Development : Works closely with Proposals Manager and Business Line Managers to develop strong technical execution plans aligned to the defined business winning themes. Idenitifies opportunities for Captial Projects or other Service Lines in future work phases and supports the development of Business Winning Strategies. Builds lasting and mutually beneficial relationships with clients for the long term financial benefit of Wood.
- Continuous Improvement : Reviews and implements lessons learnt from past studies. Identifies opportunities for wider collaboration with other Wood Service Lines or offices. Generates a precise End of Project Report, highlighting opportunities for improved performance on future studies.
- Proposal Preparation and Business Development: Lead or provide technical input to sales and proposal activities. Develop project execution plans, schedules and manpower plans at proposal review stage, and organise/ participate in review, when requested.
Skills / Qualifications
- Degree qualified in a relevant Engineering Discipline or Science
- Chartered Engineer or Scientist.
- Member of an appropriate professional institution.
- Some level of qualification from Association of Project Management or similar (optional)
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Commercial exposure through responsible positions in Proposals, Legal or Commercial.
- Has worked on a range of studies across different markets and understands the tools used and levels of detail required to support the early phase decision making process.
- Has relevant experience in FEED, EPC, Commissioning and / or Operations such that Client's recognise the experience from later phases being considered in their early study phase.
- Proficient in the use of project scheduling, estimating and cost accounting tools and methods.
- Skilled in chairing meetings and facilitating workshops.
- Experience in early phases of project development essential (feasibility studies, concept design, pre-FEED, master-planning, etc.), with specific experience of one or more of the following beneficial:-
- Carbon capture and storage
- UK decarbonisation clusters
- Green hydrogen
- Offshore experience
- Respectful to others and tolerant to alternative points of view.
- Good at working in and motivating teams
- Flexible in thinking and in work methods.
- Communicates effectively to build collaboration and influence stakeholders.
- Thinks strategically, takes decisions and delivers results.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.