Certified Welding Inspector
Fairbanks & Anchorage, Alaska
Rotational (3 Weeks On, 1 Week Off - 2 Weeks In Fairbanks & 1 Week in Anchorage)
- Plans, coordinates, and directs quality assurance program designed to ensure continuous production of products consistent with AISC standards and company policies and procedures
- Inspects and maintains quality standards by inspecting incoming materials, in-process production, and finished products, in accordance to applicable procedures, standards and codes
- Adheres to company policies and procedures.
- Responsible for implementing, managing and improving the Quality Assurance Program to maintain the company vision of providing the absolute best in products and customer satisfaction.
- Develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures. Formulates and maintains quality control objectives complementary to corporate policies and goals.
- Interprets and communicates effectively, both orally and in writing, the quality control philosophy and lean manufacturing principles to key personnel in organization.
- Coordinates objectives with production procedures in cooperation with other managers to maximize product reliability and minimize costs. Provides inspection activity and documentation for products throughout production cycle.
- Directs workers engaged in inspection and testing activities to ensure continuous control over materials, facilities, and products with company Quality Assurance Program. Plays active role on quality management within organization and is part of management team.
- Provides training to shop personnel related to quality processes.
- Responsible for resolving nonconformance cases per AISC requirements. Designs and implements quality control training programs for key personnel in conjunction with managers.
- Investigates and adjusts customer complaints regarding quality.
- Inspects incoming materials by confirming specifications; conducting visual and measurement tests
- Approves in-process production by confirming specifications; conducting visual and measurement tests; communicating non-conformances to the appropriate personnel.
- Approves finished products by confirming specifications; conducting visual and measurement tests.
- Develops and analyzes statistical data and product specifications to determine present standards and establish proposed quality and reliability expectancy of finished product.
- Applies total quality management tools and approaches to analytical and reporting processes within each department.
- This position supervises the Assistant QC's, Assistant QC-Coatings, Coating Supervisor, Coating Applicator/Blaster, and Quality Assurance.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data
- Continuous Learning - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback to improve performance; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Job Knowledge - Competent in required job skills and knowledge; exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; uses resources effectively.
- Use of Technology - Demonstrates required skills; adapts to new technologies; troubleshoots technological problems; uses technology to increase productivity; keeps technical skills up to date.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Cooperation - Establishes and maintains effective relations; exhibits tact and consideration; offers assistance and support to co-workers; works cooperatively in group situations; works actively to resolve conflicts.
- Managing Customer Focus - Promotes customer focus; monitors customer satisfaction.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; able to read and interpret written information.
- Change Management - Develops workable implementation plans; communicates changes effectively; builds commitment and overcomes resistance; prepares and supports those affected by change; monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Performance Coaching - Defines responsibilities and expectations; sets goals and objectives; gives performance feedback; motivates for increased results; recognizes contributions; encourages training and development.
- Team Leadership - Fosters team cooperation.
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Managing People - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; fosters quality focus in others; improves processes, products and services.; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Visionary Leadership - Displays passion and optimism; inspires respect and trust; mobilizes others to fulfill the vision; provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates.
- Conflict Resolution - Encourages open communications; confronts difficult situations; maintains objectivity; keeps emotions under control; uses negotiation skills to resolve conflicts.
- Impact & Influence - Pursues and wins support for ideas; achieves win-win outcomes; uses authority appropriately to accomplish goals; addresses divergent opinions.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Achievement Focus - Sets and achieves challenging goals; measures self against standard of excellence.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; completes work in timely manner; strives to increase productivity; works quickly.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
- Must have knowledge of welding inspection and applicable codes. Knowledge of AISC requirements.
- Must have Certified Welding Inspector certification and six months experience in structural steel erection and fabrication inspection.
- Knowledge of proper height/width per DOT requirements.
- Knowledge of correct placement of dunnage and proper softeners if required.
- Knowledge of shipping methods to include covering or shrink-wrapping product.
- Must pass a visual acuity test of the Jaeger J2 at a distance of 12 to 17 inches.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, shop and erection drawings, technical specifications, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must demonstrate knowledge of Internet software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software.
Physical Job Requirements:
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to
finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles and outside weather conditions.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; toxic or caustic chemicals and extreme cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.