The Lead Engineer - Testing Mechanical Design will be responsible for the design of test enabling hardware
(test rigs and benches), mainly of NPD programs, working through the following macro steps:
- testing facility layout definition
- internal utilities interfaces and connections
- logistic constraints evaluation
- design of necessary civil works and structures to build the test stand area
- deep dive in the test rig layout definition and relevant components design:
- Turbomachinery shaft-line (drivers, couplings, gear boxes, bearings)
- Auxiliaries (Lube oil, Fuel gas, Technical gases systems)
- Baseplates and supports
- Servosystems (hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical)
- Measurement systems (arrangement)
Particular attention must be kept in developing design concepts and solutions in compliance with the regulatory safety standards (EU directives and relevant codes, internal HSE procedures) and preserving ergonomics and safety of the facility erection and operation personnel.
Key aspect of the job is the capability to source innovative and disruptive solutions having a constant look at what's been developed by our and other industrial sectors and companies, including our competitors, in the field of testing or in similar contexts.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The Lead Engineer - Testing Mechanical Design will be focused on the following activities:
- Design of testing facilities and auxiliary systems, to create the desired operating boundary conditions on the machinery/sub-assembly under testing;
- Selection and specification of shaft line systems (gear boxes, couplings, electrical / hydraulics drivers...) and relevant alignment procedures
- Design of piping / gas loops and ducting systems
- Design of supporting structures and baseplates
- Design of special tooling for mechanical parts assembly and handling and relevant lifting methods
- Coordinate and support outsourced engineering work, monitor their quality (FTY), timing (OTD) and productivity
- Manage and control drawings and specifications
- Issue test benches assembly storyboards and checklists
- Support assemblies and facilities installation/commissioning
- Develop design concepts and solutions in compliance with regulatory requirements, according to EU standards and directives and/or other industrial codes (e.g. ASME, API)
- Maintain synergies with Machine Design Engineers, Chief Engineering Office, O&G hardware and tools development
- Participate and present in conceptual and detailed technical reviews
- During the day to day working activities, the Lead Engineer - Testing Mechanical Design will be in touch and concurrent engineering with:
- Test Project Engineering and Electric & Instrumentation Design teams to evaluate boundary conditions requirements and measurement systems selection
- Machine Design team to define and review test enabling HW arrangement
- Sourcing team to align purchased products, systems and services to technical specs
- Workshop Testing Operations team to support installation/operation and commissioning phases and facilitate troubleshooting and RCA's.
- Bachelor's or Master degree from an accredited university or college (or a high school diploma/GED with at least 10 years of experience in Engineering).
- At least 5 additional years of experience in Engineering position.
- Significant experience in rotating machines test enabling HW development or industrial plant and/or auxiliary systems engineering
- Fluent in English
- Knowledge of 2D (Autocad) and 3D CAD tools (Unigraphics NX or similar)
- Knowledge of structural analysis tools (Ansys, CAESAR, Tekla or similar)
- Demonstrated experience in piping and auxiliary systems design and relevant applicable codes (ASME B 31.3, ASME VIII, ASME B 16.5 or equivalent EN standards)
- Ability to drop down conceptual design of structural items and auxiliary equipment through verification by hand calculation relying on his/her own expertise
- Ability to deepen the study of a design solutions by modelling the physic behavior with computational analysis tools (e.g. ANSYS, CAESAR, Flowmaster, Matlab/Simulink) or at least being able to interpreter the result of those analysis
- Familiar with measurement systems and methods applied to turbomachinery
- Knowledge of PED, CPR, Machinery, ATEX directives and relevant applicable regulations/standards
- Innovative and creative mindset
- Strong oral and written communication skills and aptitude to team working.
- Strong sense of project ownership and urgency to execute.
- Ability to cross departmental boundaries to search for requirements and design inputs and define them through concurrent engineering with project stakeholders
- Ability to influence others and lead small design teams.
- Effective problem identification and solution skills.
- Ability to work on several projects simultaneously
- EU work permit
With operations in over 120 countries, we provide better solutions for our customers and richer opportunities for our people. As a leading partner to the energy industry, we're committed to achieving net-zero carbon emissions by 2050 and we're always looking for the right people to help us get there. People who are as passionate as we are about making energy safer, cleaner and more efficient. Join Us:
Are you seeking an opportunity to make a real difference in a company that values innovation and progress? Join us and become part of a team of people who will challenge and inspire you! Let's come together and take energy forward.
Baker Hughes Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.