Posted: Nov 30, 2021
Posted: Nov 30, 2021
Skills: Materials Management
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Wood is currently seeking a highly motived Intermediate Hazardous Materials Technician in our Winnipeg Health, Safety and Environment group. Under the guidance of the Winnipeg HSE Group Lead, the Intermediate Hazardous Materials Technician will be responsible for technical delivery of projects, project delivery, and client liaison.
- Delivery of technical services as a hazardous materials technician.
- Maintain relationships with key clients including architects, engineers, contractors, owners and employers.
- Project involvement expected to include the following technical disciplines:
- Designated substances and hazardous materials surveys.
- Mould evaluations and indoor air quality assessments.
- Asbestos abatement and mould remediation inspections.
- Confined space assessments.
- Various EHS projects which may include areas outside the candidate's breath of experience, in collaboration with others. Project may include training or various specialized services offered by Wood's Winnipeg EHS group.
- Provide mentorship and training to junior staff.
- Conduct Phase Contrast Microscopy analysis for asbestos and other fibres (training can be provided) in accordance with Wood's quality assurance program.
- Prepare high quality technical reports and technical documents.
- Stay current in area of professional practice.
- Work occasional off-hour shifts as required to accommodate assessment and inspection services required as part of evening, night, and weekend work.
- Work on project sites within Manitoba and occasionally out of province, at times working in conjunction with other offices.
Skills / Qualifications
- 5 plus years of industry experience with a minimum 3 years of related hazardous materials work experience.
- Ability to multi-task and to adapt to shifting priorities.
- The ideal candidate will have a college diploma or University degree in occupational health and safety, science, or environmental technology.
- Designation (or pursuing designation) as a Certified Engineering Technologist, Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP), Registered Occupation Hygienist/Certified Industrial Hygienist or Registered Occupational Hygiene Technologist designation is highly desirable.
- Must have and maintain throughout employment a valid Class 5 driver's license and a good driving record (driving abstract required).
- As an ongoing condition of employment, participate in criminal background checks including vulnerable sector screening and/or drug screening for site access.
- Excellent report writing skills and demonstrated word processing and computer skills.
- Experience with mobile electronic field data collection (i.e., tablets) and M.S. Office 365 tools.
- Good communication skills and attention to detail is mandatory (verbal and written).
- Must be available to work off-hours on occasion.
- Must be willing to occasionally work at heights with the use of fall arrest systems.
- Team-oriented, self-motivated and safety conscious with strong problem-solving skills.
- Business acumen is an asset.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment such as, hard hats, ear plugs, safety glasses, respirators, steel-toed boots, fall protection harnesses.
- Must be fit to wear a respirator and work in confined spaces with appropriate training (provided by Wood).
- Must be able to walk on uneven surfaces, climb ladders, carry equipment, and stand for extended periods of time.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.