Skills: Geotechnical Engineer
Experience: 15 + Years
Education: Associates/2 yr Degree/Diploma
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is currently seeking Senior Geotechnical Engineers to join our team in Edmonton.
Wood has been ranked the #1 Top International Design Firm in ENR's 2020 ranking . The Edmonton Geotechnical group is the largest geotechnical group within Wood and is involved in a range of projects from conventional to leading-edge complex assignments in the area of foundation and infrastructure; design of tailings dams, pit walls and waste dump structures; and slope assessment and stabilization work related to geohazards. The diversity in projects and complexity provides the opportunity for the applicant to have a rewarding career in their practice area(s) of choice.
We are currently looking for Senior to Associate level geotechnical engineer(s) to add to the Edmonton group in the following practice areas:
- Tailings dams/mining,
- Foundations/infrastructure, and
The successful candidate(s) for the various positions will have a strong understanding of geotechnical engineering and engineering geology, as well as proven project/client management, and communication skills. The candidate will play a key role in the organization to deliver and/or review high-quality engineering services and solutions to our clients. If you have a proven track record in the geotechnical/geological consulting environment, this opportunity will provide both professional and personal satisfaction and opportunities for growth. Additional details about the position(s) are provided below.
- Use your technical skills to deliver high-quality engineering services with geotechnical investigations, conceptual and detailed engineering designs, technical specifications, drawings, and reporting.
- Use your skills in the area of dams and mining to lead the design, construction, monitoring, and/or safety review of oil sands dams/ tailings dykes, waste dumps and pit walls.
- Use your business sense to assist in maintaining and building strong client relationships and developing and growing the business for the long term.
- Use your leadership, project management, and interpersonal skills to manage projects and lead geotechnical and multidisciplinary project teams.
- Mentor, train, and develop junior to intermediate geotechnical engineering staff.
- Prepare and review technical proposals and reports.
- Collaborate with other Wood offices, geotechnical engineering staff, and a range of internal multi-discipline groups on various projects in Northern Alberta, and occasionally in the USA and international locations.
Skills / Qualifications
The ideal candidate will have a strong academic background, a minimum of 15 to 20+ years of relevant geotechnical design experience, and an ability to manage projects.
- A university degree with a minimum of an undergraduate degree (preferably with a Masters or Ph.D. degree) in civil (geotechnical) or geological engineering from an accredited university.
- A strong understanding of geotechnical engineering and engineering geology.
- Experience in geotechnical investigations, geohazard evaluations, air-photo/LiDAR interpretations, slope stability evaluation, instrumentation, and construction monitoring.
- Experience with the design, construction, instrumentation, operational reviews and/or reclamation of oil sands waste dumps, pit walls, and/or tailings dykes.
- Extensive experience with slope stability, seepage and deformation modelling.
- Specific knowledge and understanding of Northern Alberta geology would be an asset.
- Demonstrated leadership and mentoring abilities, and a motivated team player.
- Excellent client relations and communication skills and abilities to manage project deliverables on time and budget.
- Excellent written communication skills to prepare work scopes, reports, presentations, and publications.
- A strong commitment to safety and sustainability
- Registered or eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) with the Association of Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA)
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.