Posted: Nov 30, 2021
Posted: Nov 30, 2021
Skills: Environmental Engineer
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Wood is currently seeking several Junior to Intermediate Aquatic Biologist's in Ontario. The successful candidates will join our Aquatic Ecosystem Team of biologists working on a broad range of resource development and / or infrastructure projects.
Please note this role can be based from any Wood location within Ontario.
Skills / Qualifications
The successful candidates will work within the aquatic sciences group under the supervision of the group lead and senior biologists. Primary responsibilities will be to provide support on a wide variety of projects as delegated by the senior staff within the group. This will involve the following:
- Conduct general and specific fisheries resources surveys (fish community, benthic invertebrate and sediment sampling, water quality sampling, area-velocity discharge measurements and fish habitat mapping)
- Data entry and analysis
- Data submissions to regulatory agencies
- Assisting with report and proposal preparation
The position requires that the successful candidate has a solid technical and / or academic background. Key requirements include:
- At least 2 to 5 years of experience within environmental consulting and / or regulatory agencies (or equivalent experience)
- A technical diploma or University degree in biology/ecology
- Strong fish identification skills
- Field experience with fisheries resources surveys
- A good understanding of fish habitat characterization principles and experience utilizing various fish collection gear (e.g., gillnets, minnow traps, backpack electrofishing, trap netting and seine netting)
- Willingness to work flexible hours including field work under a variety of conditions
- Willingness to travel and work outdoors in remote locations for extended periods of time
- Strong computer, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in Canada with a valid Canadian driver's license
Preference will be given to candidates with the following:
- Experience in Ontario
- Experience in consulting sector
- A good understanding of Federal and Provincial fisheries policies, legislation, and guidelines
- Familiarity with erosion and sediment control techniques and maintenance, considered an asset
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.