Skills: HSE Manager / Advisor
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Longonjo, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Project HSSE Manager with extensive experience in the mining and minerals industry on large capital projects, including projects in remote locations and other countries, in particular third world countries.
Pensana Plc (Pensana, the "Client") plans to establish the world's first sustainable rare earths separation facility at Saltend Chemicals Park ("SCP") in Hull, UK. A target production of circa 12,500 annualised tonnes of rare earth oxides, including 4,200 tonnes of magnet metal rare earth oxides ("NdPr") would represent approximately 5% of 2025 projected world demand. Pensana's Saltend development has the potential to become one of the world's largest, rare earth processing hubs, importing sustainably, globally sourced feedstock and processing it into valuable oxide and metal products for consumption by European and international markets. The Saltend Refinery will initially seek to source high purity feedstock from the Pensana's Longonjo mine site in Angola, which sources hydro-electric power and features a concentrator, mixed rare earth sulphate plant (MRES) and tailings storage facility. The near surface, high-grade project is linked to the Atlantic port of Lobito by the recently upgraded Benguela railway line.
- You are appointed as HSSE Manager within the African operating unit, in the EMEA region, part of the Mining and Minerals Projects business unit for the Longonjo Rare Earths Project in Southern Angola
- You report directly to the HSSEA Manager for EMEA with a functional reporting line to the Project Manager and Construction Manager
- You are responsible and accountable to ensure that your assigned Project comply with all the applicable HSSE statutory requirements and Wood policies and procedures, which may be amended from time to time
- You will be responsible to carry a 2.17.1 Legal Appointment in term of the MHSA.
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Participate in the contractor, supplier HSSE pre-qualification and selection processes.
- Facilitate the implementation of the Wood HSSE Management System (Blue Book).
- Have input and participate in project reviews and risk assessments.
- Investigate and assess HSSE staffing requirements for the project in consultation with HSSEA Manager for EMEA.
- Implement, review (at regular intervals) and obtain the Client approval for the Project HSSE Execution Plan.
- Audit and report compliance with HSSE management plans as scheduled.
- Provide advice and support to Project Management to ensure continuous improvement of HSSE management on the project.
- Ensure accident/incident and investigations are reported and conducted in accordance with Wood mandatory procedures.
- Develop and review a training needs analysis, matrix and plan for the project and ensure training packages are available.
- Facilitate the development of induction and orientation programs for Project.
- Develop and test all Emergency Management Plans, Traffic Management and Waste Management Plans for the project.
- Evaluate new HSSE equipment and products.
- Facilitate Project Risk Workshops at each stage of the project and ensure risk registers are kept up to date.
- Provide Monthly Reports to the HSSEA Manager for EMEA.
- Conduct detailed monthly trend analysis of Incidents on the project and provide documented reports to the HSSEA Manager EMEA.
- Ensure that "end of project" HSSE reports are compiled and submitted within 30 days after end of project.
- Promote an enthusiastic HSSE culture that delivers positive commitment to and engages all employees in continuous improvement in HSSE performance.
- Monitor personnel under your area of control comply with their individual responsibilities to HSSE matters.
- Be an active role model and lead by example to promote Wood values and Code of Business Conduct.
- Develop HSSE procedures, instructions and forms to support HSSE requirements.
NOTE: This is a 2 year contract position based full time on site in Longonjo, Southern Angola on a rotational basis.
Skills / Qualifications
- SACPCMP - Construction Health and Safety Manager
- Advance Accident/Incident investigation
- Fall protection
- Fire marshal
- Fall arrest technician
- Fist Aild level 3- Red Cross
- NEBOSH International Diploma, preferable
- Degree in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management,preferable
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Construction Background Ability to compile, maintain and analyse Project HSSE statistical data including graphical presentation.
- Ability to compile, maintain and analyse Project HSSE Risk data including graphical presentation.
- Ability to facilitate Project HSSE risk assessment processes.
- Ability to develop & present subject-related training.
- Knowledge on ISO 31000 (Risk), OHSAS 18001 (Safety) and ISO 14001 (Environment).
- Knowledge on PMBOK Project Management principles.
- Knowledge on the Occupational Health & Safety Act 85 of 1993, Mine Health & Safety Act 29 of 1996 & any other relevant legislation.
- Knowledge on HSSE Management Systems & International Best Practises.
- Ability to develop & perform HSSEA assurance audits.
- Ability to perform accident & incident investigations, including report writing.
- Must be able to lead from the front, set a positive example on the HSSE behavior required from employees.
- Confident, well-spoken, self-starter, disciplined, detail and deadline orientated.
- Good communication skills (proven ability to interact well with personnel at all organizational levels).
- Good organizational skills (ability to plan and implement).
- Good English writing skills.
- Intermediate computer skills. Competence in Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.