Skills: Environmental, Safety & Training, HSE Manager / Advisor
Experience: 3 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Port Hope, Ontario, Canada
Wood Construction and Remediation Group is actively looking for a Site Construction HSE Coordinator to join our team in Port Hope, ON.
As a Site Construction Health and Safety Coordinator, you will be responsible for supporting Project Management Teams in delivering projects safely within the CAR nuclear and non-nuclear construction and remediation portfolio in Port Hope ON.
- Assist Project Health and Safety Officer and Project Superintendent in ensuring compliance with and enforcement of applicable H&S Legislation, Regulations, Codes and Standards in addition to Wood HSSEA and Client H&S requirements on various projects.
- Provide active H&S leadership by participation, leading by example, and demonstrated interest in the health and safety program; sets a good example for workers by attitude, conduct and compliance with safety requirements and supports the Wood Safety Culture.
- Suspend any operation that threatens the health or safety of workers or the public.
- Take prudent measures to reduce hazards or to correct unsafe conditions or actions when becoming aware of such unsafe or potentially unsafe work conditions in consultation with the Project Health and Safety Officer and Superintendent.
- Follow and actively promote Wood Safety Shield, Six Safety Essentials and Global Safety Rules.
- Provide for active worker participation in the project H&S Program; provide information, instruction and training to workers necessary for the protection of their health and safety.
- Coordinates Wood H&S Program on multi-employer project sites with all parties, including the Client and subcontractors.
- Assesses risks and identifies, prioritizes and controls hazards on the project, prior to starting work activities and during work activities.
- Recognize, evaluate, and control occupational exposures to toxic chemicals, utilizing regulatory and professional reference resources such as Threshold Limit Values (TLVs) by the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH), OELs, NIOSH Pocket Guide, and others; consults and engages Wood's Certified Industrial Hygienists (CIH), Registered Occupational Hygienists (ROH), and other professionals as needed.
- Inspect tools, equipment and machinery issued by workers and removes unsafe items from use.
- Assist with delivery of periodic safety meetings with Wood employees and subcontractors, including daily tailgate meetings, attend safety meetings, conducted by other employers at the project site, as applicable.
- Issue required personal protective equipment to workers and enforces its use.
- Monitor compliance to Hazard Communication Program (WHMIS-Canada). Request and secure from all subcontractors at the project site Safety Data Sheets on all products used at the site.
- Instruct new employees and Project visitors in safe work practices and company safety requirements.
- Provide leadership in timely reporting and managing of incidents; assist with organizing and maintaining H&S record keeping; assist Project Health and Safety Officer and Superintendent in investigating incidents to determine root causes and takes appropriate action to prevent a reoccurrence or similar occurrence; provides leadership in developing and implementing corrective actions.
- Assists with the implementation of first aid provision, fire prevention and emergency response programs.
- Obtain, inspect, and maintain first aid supplies, provides on-site first aid support as necessary.
- Participates with the inspection of fire extinguishers and GFCI at least monthly.
- Ensures proper operation, calibration, and storage of required health and safety monitoring. equipment
- Ensures employees and subcontractors stay within their scope of work and job description and do not assist other subcontractor/trades in performing their assigned tasks.
Skills / Qualifications
- 3+ years of experience within a HSE Coordinator role preferably in Ontario construction industry.
- Eligible for registration as CRSP or CRST is required.
- Successful applicant(s) must be eligible for and will be required to obtain Government of Canada security clearance.
- Experience working on engineered construction, civil works, geotechnical, demolition, environmental remediation and/or nuclear construction projects.
- Experience and knowledgeable working under Ontario H&S Legislation, codes, practices, standards.
- Proven record of developing, implementing and embedding a strong safety culture on project sites.
- Able to quickly react to various situations and strong initiative.
- Able to make sound decisions and not afraid to ask if direction is not clear.
- A valid G license and have a reliable vehicle.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate technical safety expectations and issues both written and oral.
Working hours will be Monday to Friday between 0700 and 1700 (min. 10 hours per day), stat holidays excluded. There may be times where there will be Saturday work and extended hours up to 12 hours per day, which will be communicated ahead of time.
Health and Safety Coordinators are generally not involved in tasks that would be considered heavy labour. Wood's Project sites are environmentally challenging with all types of weather and some temperature extremes involved (very cold to very warm). Precautions are always utilized in these cases. You will be expected to work outdoors (sometimes in rugged terrain) regularly while performing site observations and inspections.
Health and Safety Coordinators must be capable of wearing all required PPE&C, including respirators, if required. Site-specific PPE&C will be provided, other than work boots (allowance provided).
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.