Skills: Piping Engineer
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Lead Piping Engineer with extensive experience in the mining and minerals industry on large capital projects, including projects in remote locations and other countries, in particular third world countries.
- To coordinate and supervise design functions within a project/study context.
- Ensure that designs are in accordance with project / study requirements and company objectives and are produced in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- To work in a safe manner, complying with and actively contributing to the WOOD Health, Safety and Environmental HSE policies, manuals, and procedures. At all times considering the health, safety and welfare of fellow workers, visitors, clients, community, and the environment.
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the piping engineering effort within the project team to meet the project schedule and budget.
- Assist the project engineering manager with accurate forecasting of discipline manpower.
- Co-ordinate with functional manager to define the required discipline assurance actions and criticality assessment.
- Prepare piping technical specifications, calculations, reports, design criterion and other documents as required by the project.
- Responsible for piping engineering content, discipline design drawings and technical documents within a project / study.
- Produce designs in accordance with project, discipline, statutory regulations, good practice, and company procedural requirements.
- Produce project filing system which is maintained and kept up to date in a discipline or project system, which all project design personnel utilise.
- Engineering input into PFD's, P&ID's, line lists, valve lists and SPI lists.
- Ensure the that designs produced support the method of construction and ease of plant maintenance and operations.
- Ensure piping design engineering standards are maintained and adhered to on all projects.
- Provide technical guidance to Project staff on various aspects of design.
- Review piping installation contract tenders and produce technical adjudications / recommendations.
- Review and comment on design documents and drawings from own discipline and from other disciplines.
- Review vendor documentation for compliance with project / study specifications.
- Compare procurement costs against budget and provide feedback to estimating.
- Review vendor documentation for compliance with project specifications.
- Estimate, control, and review design scope changes.
- Provide feedback on the quality, use and value of design systems used in design.
- Assist with plant installation and commissioning of piping.
- Liaise with client to ensure that design is in accordance with agreed requirements.
- Liaise with Site construction staff on resolution of piping engineering design issues.
- Conduct regular piping engineering/design group meetings within a project context.
- Provide timely reports regarding all discussions held and progress made. Ensure all correspondence is recorded.
- Provide input into progress reports, including listing achievements and highlighting issues as required.
- Provide engineering support to construction team during plant installation and commissioning of piping
- Conduct regular piping engineering/design group meetings within a project context
- Prepare progress reports, including listing achievements and highlighting issues as required.
- Work closely with other consultants, other disciplines, and Project Managers to ensure that projects objectives are met in a timely manner.
- Ensure compliance and take initiative for safety and environmental aspects.
- Keeping up to date with developments in the piping field e.g., updates to design codes etc.)
- Provide input into proposals and man-hour estimates.
- Ensure compliance and take initiative for safety and environmental issues.
Skills / Qualifications
- BSc, BEng, or B. Tech with a minimum of 10 years' experience.
- ECSA regist
Knowledge, skills, and experience:
- Minimum of 10 years Piping design experience in the mining and minerals processing area in the design office and the field
- Well-developed computer skills and knowledge of word, databases spreadsheets and discipline related application software, e.g., piping stress software.
- Technical Competence - in terms of core engineering theory from first principles and ability to extend theory to new and complex equipment.
- Site experience - construction and commissioning.
- Design & Construction of pumping systems in a mining environment i.e., Slurry Piping systems, HDPE piping system.
- Experience Lined piping systems such as Ceramic, Rubber, HDPE, and Copon Lining.
- Experience in conducting pipe stress analysis on piping in the mining environment.
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Good organizational, administration and time management skills.
- A pro-active attitude.
- Personal integrity and trustworthiness.
- A common-sense approach to everyday life.
- A willingness to treat all people with respect, integrity and consistency.
- High levels of initiative and "get up and go" to manage own work flow to meet objectives.
- A capacity for persistence and resilience and patience in a sometimes-challenging environment.
- An appreciation of the value of teamwork and willingness to work as part of a team, providing support for other team members as required.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.