Posted: Nov 09, 2021
Posted: Nov 09, 2021
Skills: Instrument & Controls Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Wood perform consulting and EPCM services for many of Canada's gas processing, power generation, and power distribution companies.
Wood currently has an exciting opportunity for a Protection and Controls Engineer, Transmission & Distribution, reporting to the Electrical Department Manager, Transmission & Distribution. This position can be located in any of the following offices - Vancouver, BC, Calgary, AB, Oakville, ON, Tucker, GA, West Palm Beach, FL, Orlando, FL or Los Angeles, CA. If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast paced environment, this is the opportunity for you.
- Designing protection, control and metering systems for electrical substations of 12 to 500 kV
- Developing protection application documents, one-lines, schematics, wiring diagrams, panel layouts and IED settings for power system protective relaying and metering systems
- Preparing and reviewing drawing lists, engineering documents, specifications, and inspection and testing plans/procedures
- Writing and planning project scope(s), staging plans, test plans, proposals, estimates, schedules, and budgets
- Reviewing design documentation with the Owner's Engineer to ensure the design satisfies the project's requirements
- Reviewing of vendor documents against specifications
- Preparing material take offs for all P&C equipment, as well as ordering materials through the procurement group
- Performing factory inspections of P&C equipment
- Coordinating construction and commissioning activities with utility clients and subcontractors
- Responding to information requests from construction sites and completing project documentation, including as-builts, calculations and returning data to clients
- Traveling to site and liaising with internal groups, external contractors and clients
- Enhancing and maintaining relationships with internal groups as well as external contractors and clients
- Leading projects from conception through construction and commissioning, including mentoring junior engineers and designers
Skills / Qualifications
- Electrical Engineering Degree from a recognized university along with a Professional Engineering designation or the ability to register as a professional in Canada or the United States
- 5-7 years of protection, control and metering experience in a Transmission and Distribution Utility or EPC organization designing substations
- Proven working experience of relay setting and coordination including ASPEN as well as SEL and GE relay protection systems is considered an asset
- Proven field experience with outage planning, construction sequencing and commissioning is considered an asset
- Familiarity with utility P&C maintenance and operational practices is considered an asset
- Clean driving record/abstract
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.