Skills: HR - General, PR / Corporate Communications, Environmental, Safety & Training
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currently seeking a Senior Human Environment Consultant to join our growing team in Ontario.
Wood's Human Environment team studies the interactions between human populations and the natural and physical environments in project-specific contexts for a wide variety of industrial, government and Indigenous clients. Our services include social and economic baseline research and impact assessment (including GBA+), socio-economic effects management and planning, communication and engagement with public stakeholders, government agencies and Indigenous Nations and Peoples, and Indigenous Knowledge studies.
Please note this role can be based in any Wood office in Ontario, and may even have the option to work remotely from home within Ontario.
Reporting to job specific task and project managers, you will:
- Lead a wide variety of social and economic research activities in support of baseline studies, impact assessments, and effects management and monitoring plans for a wide range of projects, including municipal, resource development, remediation and environmental assessment projects
- Provide expertise in meeting regulatory requirements for environmental and impact assessments including the various provincial process as well as those of the Impact Assessment Agency Canada regarding gender-based analysis plus and impacts on Indigenous rights
- Support the planning and implementation of Indigenous and public engagement programs for a wide range of projects, including municipal, resource development, remediation and environmental / impact assessment projects
- Promote excellence in social and economic impact assessment, incorporating best international industry practices, contributing to the growth of our Human Environment services through high quality and consistent service to internal and external clients
- Elevate the knowledge and success of our technical professionals through participation in Wood's Global Technical Expert Network
- Promote and support weaving together Indigenous Knowledge and Western Science to support holistic project understanding and solutions
- Prepare and contribute to technical proposals, presentations and reports
- Contribute to and participate in business development initiatives with internal and external clients
- Work collaboratively to empower and promote team development and advancement
- Liaise and work effectively with team members, other Wood technical specialists, clients, government agencies, Indigenous communities and stakeholders
- Other duties as assigned
Skills / Qualifications
- University degree (graduate level preferred) in Social Sciences, Economics, Indigenous studies or related field preferred
- At least 10 years relevant experience in conducting social and/or economic research and analysis and in environmental assessments(municipal, provincial, federal)
- Knowledge of and experience meeting Canadian impact / environmental assessment requirements (federal, provincial, territorial)
- Experience working with Indigenous Nations and Peoples in data gathering and reflecting their perspectives regarding Indigenous rights and knowledge in impact assessments
- Strong relationship building and culturally informed conflict resolutions approaches, including ability to facilitate challenging conversations to resolve complex issues
- Experience working on mining, oil and gas, infrastructure and linear projects (transportation, transmission lines, pipelines)
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills (English; French and Indigenous language is an asset)
- Experience in stakeholder and Indigenous engagement strategy development, management and implementation
- Relevant lived experience considered an asset
- Strong budgetary, statistical and report presentation skills
- Desire to provide excellent client service and commitment to continuous technical improvement
- Ability to work independently and while encouraging collaborative teams working in a strong entrepreneurial environment
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage and prioritize several assignments at one time and deliver on time and within budget
- Fluency with the use of Microsoft 365 for Business products including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams, OneDrive
- Valid driver's license
- Ability to travel for work from time to time
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.