Skills: Engineering Manager
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Sandton, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Engineering Manager (HOD) with extensive experience in the mining and minerals industry on large capital projects, including projects in remote locations and other countries, in particular third world countries.
- Analytical thinking - Ability to identify issues, obtain relevant information, relate and compare data from different sources and identify alternative solutions.
- Communication - Ability to present information. Ability to convey information clearly and concisely to groups or individuals. Ability to listen and respond appropriately to others.
- Decision making - Knowledge of and ability to use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions and/or reaching conclusions. Ability to take action consistent with available facts, constraints and anticipated consequences.
- Problem solving - Ability to identify problems, determine possible solution, and actively work to resolve issues.
- Training - Ability to lead and guide others to develop new skills that will enhance their work
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Liaise with Legal Services Group to ensure the legal interests of the company are adequately protected in all areas of Engineering including the management of litigation; arbitration proceedings; provision of adequate insurance cover and asbestos risk management;
- Ensure that the Engineering department structure and resource base is maintained and developed in respect of employment equity, numbers and competencies to enable company's business and project commitments to be met;
- Implementation of personnel policies and establish a management development and succession programme within the Engineering department ensuring a frequency of review;
- Ensure the appropriate procedures are followed within the Engineering department in respect of performance appraisals ensuring that personnel performance is reviewed. Ensure that Learning and Development programmes are established and implemented for the Engineering department;
- Ensure that Company's Core Values are communicated to and understood by the Engineering department;
- Communicate company Business objectives and targets to the Engineering department. Motivate the Engineering department to achieve agreed key objectives and profit targets through the joint development of action plans and by obtaining their personal commitment to them;
- Manage the Engineering department staff to establish and agree improvement plans for their areas of responsibility and review progress on a quarterly basis. These plans shall address, as a minimum:
- Organisation and Personnel
- Quality and HSE
- Project Execution Improvement
- Implementation of the mandatory procedures in the Engineering department;
- Participate in the preparation of the Annual Plan and subsequently monitor performance of the Engineering department in delivery against the Plan;
- Recommend and control Capital and Operational Expenditures for the Engineering department;
- Recommend and control Salary Budget for the Engineering department;
- Ensure Proposal development addresses the preparation of key proposal documentation including project execution plans, construction and contracting strategies, quality plans, cost estimates, schedules and risk management plans;
- Participate as a member of the Strategic Leadership Team and other committees as required.
- Ensure that the company Strategic Leadership Team is made aware of important matters concerning the Engineering department by the issue of a monthly report and the provision of other written communications as and when necessary;
- Maintain, under ongoing review, the performance of projects relative to defined project objectives (e.g. schedule and budget) and ensure that corrective actions / improvements are taken where necessary. Attend and contribute to formal Project Reviews;
- Manage the effective review of Contract Profit Reports;
- Maintain co-operation with MEA BU to achieve effective execution of all projects, which are the responsibility of the company;
- Promote, where applicable, the transfer of work to IEC in support of corporate objectives. Maintain co-operation with IEC Management to ensure quality and productivity;
- Represent company through participation in membership of client / company Steering Committees as required;
- Promote the effective liaison and maintain harmonious relationships with Clients;
- Maintain good employee relations and projection of the company's image to clients, public, and other third parties;
- Maintain all necessary contact with professional bodies;
- Represent the company on the appropriate industry committees.
Skills / Qualifications
- Degree/National Higher Diploma qualified in a relevant Engineering Discipline
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- A minimum of 10 years previous EPC project execution experience in the Oil and Gas, or Petrochemical industry.
- A minimum of 10 years' experience in general management;
- Significant experience in project execution activities within front end engineering and design, detailed design, procurement and construction activities.
- Significant experience in providing project execution input to Proposals.
- Working knowledge in the application of the Quality Management standard ISO 9001 and the Environmental standard ISO 14001
- Understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety standard OHSAS 18001.
- Set Direction - Think Strategically, Plan and Lead Change.
- Enhance Relationships - Communicate Build Collaboration and Influence.
- Engage and Motivate - Empower People, Lead by Example and Recognise and Reward
- Develop People - Select -Talent, Manage and Enhance Performance and Build Effective Teams.
- Deliver Results Make Decisions, Lead Execution and Take Initiative. clien t relationship and networking ability.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.