Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Knutsford, United Kingdom
Wood is currently recruiting for a Senior or Principal Mechanical Engineer in our Knutsford office.
- The senior level role will suit candidates who are seeking a new challenge with the opportunity to mentor younger engineers and lead their own projects.
- The principal level role will suit candidates with demonstrable experience in the waste sector; seeking an opportunity to build a team and broaden the company's expertise.
The role will form part of a multi-disciplinary engineering team delivering design and client advisory services in the waste sector. This will include technical assurance of engineering deliverables and, as we expand the team, provide coaching and mentoring to graduate engineers and technicians.
The scope of projects ranges from feasibility studies through to detailed design and site delivery; strategic assessment and due diligence; and supporting long term service contract procurements.
As part of your package, we offer the following benefits:
- Support and guidance of development
- Company car or car allowance
- Generous pension package
- Voluntary Flexible Benefits Scheme (dental insurance, cycle to work scheme, technology benefits, just to name a few!)
- Access to Season Ticket Loan Scheme for travel in and around your base office location.
- Lead engineer for waste sector design projects
- Participate in proposals, scoping work packages and resourcing/time estimates
- Preparation and/or review of design deliverables including specifications, calculations, reports, datasheets, models, drawings and schedules
- Undertake technical appraisal of tenders
- Undertake asset condition surveys
- Provide input to testing and commissioning of mechanical equipment and installations
- Coach and mentor staff and actively contribute to the technical development of skills throughout the wider team.
- Promote skills and innovation within the team; and externally with clients and industry contacts
- Support efforts to develop the digital transformation methodology in the delivery and management of projects
- Manage larger multi-disciplinary design projects or work packages that include scheduling and resource planning, coordinating work between different technical disciplines
Skills / Qualifications
Skills / Experience
- Able to communicate clearly in the English language; both verbally and in the production of good quality written documentation using MS Office applications
- Diligent, confident, collaborative and highly motivated; when working as part of project teams
- Able to work accurately, flexibly and to integrate their work with other disciplines, whilst working to schedule and budget constraints
- Ability to prepare and review calculations, reports, drawings and design briefs relating to mechanical and process plant installations
- Able to manage large multi-disciplinary design projects including scheduling and resource planning
- A heightened awareness of personal safety and understanding of the CDM Regulations
- Able to undertake site visits and client meetings across the UK
- Demonstrable expertise in the UK municipal waste industry
Desirable (dependent upon level of experience held by the candidate):
- Flexible and able to undertake international assignments
- Demonstrable expertise in the detailed design of waste treatment facilities
- Experience in review of Energy from Waste plant design
- Experience in review of Anaerobic Digestion plant design
- Experience in review of Materials Recovery Facility plant design
- Experience in commercial and legal aspects of contracting
- Degree qualified in a relevant mechanical/process engineering discipline
- Possession of valid UK driving license
Desirable (Essential for Principal level role):
- Chartered Engineer with IMechE / IChemE / CIWM
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.