Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Location: Portland, Maine, United States
Wood is seeking a Sustainability Architect to help grow our design team in Portland, Maine. The ideal candidate will be energetic and have excellent communication skills, a passion for sustainable design, and well-rounded technical architectural competency. Being well organized, proactive, and able to work independently and in a multi-disciplinary team environment with minimal supervision is important.
This position offers the opportunity be a sustainability champion within Wood, developing new business centered around green building certifications; recommending sustainability frameworks and solutions for clients with global facility portfolios; and implementing sustainable design practices on projects. As a leader in sustainable design, you will participate in Wood's Global Technical Expert Network, collaborating with professionals across regions and partnering with client account managers to actively advance and promote our sustainability practice.
The Sustainability Architect will be responsible for support and execution of projects such as building renovations and new construction for Federal and State office buildings, museums, and visitor facilities; industrial office space, warehouses, and maintenance facilities, and high-security government and radar facilities.
- Develop and promote sustainable design initiatives across government, commercial, and industrial client sectors
- Lead certification process on projects pursuing LEED and other green building certifications
- Conduct facility investigation surveys and develop existing condition information and reports with various alternatives
- Develop 30% to 100% architectural designs, specifications, studies, procurement documents and stamped deliverables
- Delegate aspects of design to junior staff and supervise the preparation and check the accuracy of contract documents
- Coordinate technical efforts of multi-disciplinary project teams from concept design through completion of construction
- Be a key contributor to new business development and growth of Wood's A/E delivery team
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Architecture or an Architecture-related field
- Registered Architect
- Green Building Certification, LEED accreditation and/or WELL accreditation preferred
- 10+ years of relevant experience
- Strong knowledge of design, industry advancements, construction methodology, and sustainable design practices
- Demonstrated experience delivering a range of projects from concept through detailed design and construction completion
- Interest to work in support of engineering-driven projects as well as architecturally driven projects
- Proficient in current digital modeling applications, including Revit and related energy and daylight modeling plugins/software
- Effective technical, written, and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor's degree in Architecture from a NAAB-accredited Architectural program and/or Master's degree in an Architecture-related field
- NCARB certificate holder
- Civilian Federal Agency and DoD project experience strongly preferred
As the successful candidate, you will join an established architecture team of 10-people that has an excellent reputation and ambition to grow. We are an AIA New England Emerging Professional Friendly Firm composed of a close-knit team of dedicated professionals working to find sustainable solutions for our diverse and increasing customer base. Our team is recognized as a leader in architectural design nationwide within Wood and is known in the industry for delivering high-quality designs with technical excellence. We realize this success is the result of the efforts and abilities of our people. Our Portland, Maine team takes pride in maintaining a small family-like, flexible work environment while also having a large international organization's structure, resources, and opportunities. This is an opportunity to work with our talented Architects and Engineers in one of Wood's focused growth areas. If this appeals to you, we would like the opportunity to discuss with you further as we grow our team to support our current workload and advance strategic planning towards our future vision.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.