Posted: Nov 30, 2021
Posted: Nov 30, 2021
Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Sandton, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Lead Mechanical Engineer with extensive experience in the mining and minerals industry on large capital projects, including projects in remote locations and other countries, in particular third world countries.
- To coordinate and supervise engineering and design functions within a project / study context.
- Ensure that designs are in accordance with project / study requirements and company objectives and are produced in a timely and cost-effective manne
- To work in a safe manner, complying with and actively contributing to the WOOD Health, Safety and Environmental HSE policies, manuals and procedures. At all times considering the health, safety and welfare of fellow workers, visitors, clients, community and the environment.
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the mechanical engineering effort within the project team to meet the project schedule and budget.
- Assist the project engineering manager with accurate forecasting of discipline manpower.
- Co-ordinate with functional manager to define the required discipline assurance actions and criticality assessment.
- Prepare/Review technical specifications, contract specifications, calculations, reports, design criteria, tender documentation, installation contract documents and other documents required by the project / study in accordance with project, discipline, statutory regulations, good-practice, and company procedural requirements.
- Ensure project filing system is maintained and kept up to date in a discipline or project system.
- Ensure the that designs produced support the method of construction and ease of plant maintenance and operations.
- Ensure design engineering standards are maintained and adhered to on all projects.
- Review and comment on design documents and drawings from own discipline and from other disciplines.
- Review and approve vendor documentation for compliance with project / study specifications.
- Estimate, control and review design scope changes.
- Attend factory acceptance tests and provide input into vendor's test documentation.
- Liaise with client to ensure that design is in accordance with agreed requirements.
- Liaise with Site construction staff on technical queries on resolution of engineering design issues
- Prepare project close out reports with comparison of design and procurement budgets.
- Conduct regular design group meetings within a project / study context.
- Provide timely reports regarding all discussions held and progress made. Ensure all correspondence is recorded.
- Allocate work and aid discipline engineers and designers on projects / studies.
- Input into progress reports, including listing achievements and highlighting issues as required.
- Provide input into proposals and man-hour estimates
- Work closely with other consultants and other disciplines and Project / Study Managers to ensure that client's objectives are met in a timely manner.
- Ensure compliance and take initiative for safety and environmental issues.
Skills / Qualifications
- BSc, BEng, or B. Tech with a minimum of 10 years' experience.
- ECSA registered
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Minimum of 10 years Mechanical design experience in the mining and minerals processing area in the design office and in the field.
- Well-developed computer skills and knowledge of word, databases, spreadsheets and discipline related application software.
- Site experience - construction and commissioning.
- Slurry pumping experience.
- Materials Handling experience.
- Mechanical Package experience.
- Good verbal, written, interpersonal, organisational, administration and time management skills.
- A proactive attitude.
- Personal integrity and trustworthiness.
- A common-sense approach to everyday life.
- A willingness to treat all people with respect, integrity and consistency.
- High levels of initiative and "get up and go" to manage own work flow to meet objectives.
- A capacity for persistence and resilience and patience in a sometimes-challenging environment.
- An appreciation of the value of teamwork and willingness to work as part of a team, providing support for other team members as required.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.