Posted: Nov 30, 2021
Posted: Nov 30, 2021
Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Sandton, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Mechanical Engineer (Bulk Materials Handling) with extensive experience in the mining and minerals industry on large capital projects, including projects in remote locations and other countries, in particular third world countries.
- To coordinate and supervise engineering and design functions within a project / study context associated with bulk materials handling equipment.
- To work in a safe manner, complying with and actively contributing to the Wood Health, Safety and Environmental HSE policies, manuals, and procedures. At all times considering the health, safety and welfare of fellow workers, visitors, clients, community and the environment .
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Prepare/Review technical specifications, contract specifications, calculations, reports, design criteria, tender documentation, installation contract documents and other documents required by the project / study in accordance with project, discipline, statutory regulations, good-practice, and company procedural requirements.
- Ensure project filing system is maintained and kept up to date in a discipline or project system.
- Ensure the that designs produced support the method of construction and ease of plant maintenance and operations.
- Ensure design engineering standards are maintained and adhered to on all projects.
- Review and comment on design documents and drawings from own discipline and from other disciplines.
- Review and approve vendor documentation for compliance with project / study specifications.
- Estimate, control, and review design scope changes.
- Attend factory acceptance tests and provide input into vendor's test documentation.
- Liaise with client to ensure that design is in accordance with agreed requirements.
- Liaise with Site construction staff on technical queries on resolution of engineering design issues
- Prepare project close out reports with comparison of design and procurement budgets.
- Conduct regular design group meetings within a project / study context.
- Provide timely reports regarding all discussions held and progress made. Ensure all correspondence is recorded.
- Allocate work and aid discipline engineers and designers on projects / studies.
- Input into progress reports, including listing achievements and highlighting issues as required.
- Provide input into proposals and man-hour estimates
- Work closely with other consultants and other disciplines and Project / Study Managers to ensure that client's objectives are met in a timely manner.
- Ensure compliance and take initiative for safety and environmental issues.
Skills / Qualifications
- BSc, BEng, or B. Tech
- ECSA registered
- CMASA Conveyor Design Course
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Minimum of 10 to 15 years bulk materials handling design experience in the mining and minerals processing industry. Experience in a design office and field associated work with materials handling equipment.
- Conveyor design, Chutes and Transfers, Bins and Silos, Stockpile.
- Well-developed computer skills and knowledge of word, databases spreadsheets and discipline related application software.
- Understanding of South African and common international standards and regulatory authority requirements in the mining and minerals processing sector
- Knowledge of specific extractive metallurgy process/chemical engineering unit operations and equipment.
- Site experience - construction and commissioning
- Mechanical Package Experience
- Good commercial awareness/risk management skills
- Technical Competence - in terms of core engineering theory from first principles and ability to extend theory to new and complex equipment.
- Must be proficient in the use of Sidewinder.
- A working understanding of Discrete Element Modelling.
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- A pro-active attitude.
- Personal integrity and trustworthiness.
- A common sense approach to everyday life.
- A willingness to treat all people with respect, integrity and consistency.
- High levels of initiative and "get up and go" to manage own workflow to meet objectives.
- A capacity for persistence and resilience and patience in a sometimes-challenging environment.
- An appreciation of the value of teamwork and willingness to work as part of a team, providing support for other team members as required.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.