Skills: Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currently recruiting for an Assistant/Consultant MEICA Engineer to join our Environment and Infrastructure engineering team, working on infrastructure projects in either our London or Leamington Spa offices.
You will contribute to the project engineering design input at all stages. Our role generally is Client's Technical Advisor; as such, we develop concept designs, review and provide assurance of the appointed Contractors' detailed designs, contribute to the procurement processes by preparing technical documentation and evaluating Contractors' proposals, and provide site supervision during construction.
You will bring an understanding of engineering design related to construction in Waste, Water, Transport, Utilities, Defence or related sectors.
Wood will support your development enabling you to progress to chartered or incorporated status, gaining experience in a number of areas and developing you to your full potential.
Early Careers Group
You will have access to the Early Careers Group that brings together young professionals and offers continuing professional development opportunities. Early Careers Group activities include:
- Networking opportunities
- Participation in an annual event with early careers staff from across Europe
- Organised office socials
- Participation in charity events
- Responding to business challenges from the E&IS leadership team
- Lunch and learn sessions
- Participation in STEM events
- Developing University and Institutional links
- Access to Wood's Global Developing Professionals Network
We will provide the following additional benefits:
- Generous pension package
Voluntary Flexible Benefits Scheme (dental insurance, cycle to work scheme, technology benefits, just to name a few!)
As a MEICA Engineer, you will work within project teams helping us deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. Key responsibilities include:
- Undertaking asset condition surveys and preparing reports and recommendations
- Assisting with the production of Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs)
- Preparation of design deliverables including calculations, reports, datasheets, drawings and schedules and procurement documentation including User Requirement Specifications
- Providing input to resolving issues during construction
- Providing input to testing and commissioning of equipment and installations, including witnessing equipment acceptance tests
- Working closely with other disciplines on multi-disciplinary projects
- Providing input to proposals, work scope, work schedule and budgets
- Liaison with the Client (internal or external), ensuring that their needs are met
- Providing support to allow the project team to comply with the duties of Designer under CDM, including the production of design risk assessments
- Ensuring Quality Assurance systems and procedures are followed
Skills / Qualifications
IET, IMechE accredited degree level qualification (or equivalent) in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
Post graduation experience is required
We are looking for enthusiastic individuals with a flexible approach and an ability to learn in a leading global consultancy. You will be highly numerate, have excellent communication skills, enjoy working in a collaborative environment and can apply your skills whilst working with a diverse range of clients and projects.
You will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
- A good technical understanding of mechanical and/or electrical principles, using a mathematical approach to problem-solving by calculation where appropriate.
- An awareness of:
- LV electrical design to BS7671
- The design and specification of electrical power and control systems, including switchgear and motor control centre, instrumentation and cabling detailed designs
- The use of P&IDs to create equipment, instrumentation and load schedules
- Electrical single line diagrams, block cabling, cable routing, and associated diagrams
- Cable sizing and experience of using cable design software will be beneficial
- Electrical safe systems of work
- Rotodynamic machinery (pumps, blowers etc.)
- Materials and material properties to aid selection
- The design and specification of mechanical equipment, including pumps, air blowers, tanks, vessels, ventilation plant, pipework and valves
- The use of P&ID & PFDs to create equipment schedules
- Industrial processes (Water & Wastewater, Materials Handling, Chemical and general Industry
- Health and Safety legislation (The Management of Health & Safety at Work Act, Manual Handling, CDM)
- Engineering standards (British Standards, CIBSE, Wimes etc.)
(We recognise that the items above will apply differently to mechanical and electrical engineers)
- The ability to communicate clearly in the English language verbally and in the production of good quality written documentation
- A good client facing manner
- That you are effective working in a multi-disciplinary team and on your own
- Good powers of observation, specifically of physical arrangements and construction practices
- That you are diligent, confident and highly motivated
- The ability to travel and visit operational and construction sites as required, to act in a safe manner, and to asset survey, inspect, and witness test electrical equipment and installations
- Some knowledge of design tools and software such as AutoCAD, AutoPIPE or similar design packages would be an advantage but is not essential
The next step
If you have the right experience and skills and are keen to contribute to an enthusiastic team delivering quality projects, we would be pleased to hear from you.
Please include a covering letter along with your CV as part of your application - we will require this to progress your application. We require a covering letter with your application to explain:
- Why you want to work for Wood
- Work experience / positions of responsibility - tell us about your experience in delivering customer service
- Your aims and ambitions for your career and how you plan to achieve them
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.