Skills: Civil Engineering
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Wood is currently recruiting for an Assistant/Consultant Civil Engineer to join our Environment and Infrastructure engineering team, working on infrastructure projects in either our London or Leamington Spa offices.
You will contribute to the project engineering design input at all stages. Our role generally is Client's Technical Advisor; as such, we develop concept designs, review and provide assurance of the appointed Contractors' detailed designs, contribute to the procurement processes by preparing technical documentation and evaluating Contractors' proposals, and provide site supervision during construction.
You will bring an understanding of engineering design related to construction in Waste, Water, Transport, Utilities, Defence or related sectors.
We are looking for individuals with a strong base of technical skills, with the ability to use a range of design software and excellent organisational and communication skills.
Wood will support your development enabling you to progress to chartered or incorporated status, gaining experience in a number of areas and developing you to your full potential.
Early Careers Group
You will have access to the Early Careers Group that brings together young professionals and offers continuing professional development opportunities. Early Careers Group activities include:
- Networking opportunities
- Participation in an annual event with early careers staff from across Europe
- Organised office socials
- Participation in charity events
- Responding to business challenges from the E&IS leadership team
- Lunch and learn sessions
- Participation in STEM events
- Developing University and Institutional links
- Access to Wood's Global Developing Professionals Network
As a Civil/Structural Engineer, you will work within project teams helping us deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. Key responsibilities include:
- Working in conjunction with multi-disciplinary engineering teams - civil, structural, water management, process, mechanical & electrical/ICA
- Production of CAD drawings to clients' engineering standards and specifications and ensuring design deliverables meet required standards of accuracy and quality
- Supporting projects with data analysis and contributing to preparing reports
- Preparation of simple calculations and contributing to providing solutions to design problems
- Supporting the administration of the projects
- Supporting construction works on-site, through site visits and working with site engineering staff to resolve technical issues
- Adhere to Wood's HS&E and QA policies
- Keeping your training log up to date and attending training/ Continued Professional Development days (CPD), where appropriate
Skills / Qualifications
Skills / Experience
- Proficient in CAD, with excellent working knowledge of AutoCAD for the production of construction drawings
- Knowledge and experience in creating 3D models using Civil 3D
- Ability to work accurately, flexibly and to integrate your work with other discipline areas, whilst working to tight programme and budget constraints
- Ability to communicate fluently with other team members and to produce reports in clear English
- Have a heightened awareness of personal safety and a good understanding of the CDM Regulations
- Ability to travel and visit operational and construction sites as required, and to act in a safe manner
- Practice in model coordination and clash avoidance using Navisworks
- Experience of using drainage software such as MicroDrainage or PDS
- Experience with Autodesk Infraworks and Vehicle tracking
- Knowledge/experience of using highway design software packages
- An understanding of BIM
- Qualified to degree level (or equivalent) in Civil Engineering
- Graduate Member of a relevant professional body such as ICE, CIWEM
- Working towards achieving CEng or IEng qualification
- Qualifications in use of CAD / Design software packages
If you have the right experience and skills and are keen to contribute to an enthusiastic team delivering quality projects, we would be pleased to hear from you.
Please include a covering letter along with your CV as part of your application - we will require this to progress your application. We require a covering letter with your application to explain:
- Why you want to work for Wood
- Work experience / positions of responsibility - tell us about your experience in delivering customer service
- Your aims and ambitions for your career and how you plan to achieve them
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.