Skills: Design Engineer
Education: Masters Degree
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Wood is currently recruiting for a CDM Principal Designer in our London or Leamington office. You will contribute to / be responsible for the delivery of the Principal Designer role across all phases of the Design and Construction lifecycle on a range of challenging projects across various sectors including Education, Defence, Energy (incl Renewables), Commercial, Industrial, Transport and Utilities.
You will have the ability to undertake the Principal Designer role on complex multidiscipline construction projects, have an understanding of the key hazards typical to building and engineering projects with relevant sector experience and be able to work as an individual or to lead / work as part of a wider team. You must be able to work with both internal and external project stakeholders to ensure Health and Safety issues are properly addressed and managed during the project lifecycle including working with the Principal Contractor to ensure temporary works designs align with the permanent design intent.
The role requires an in depth understanding of design and construction processes and the ability to communicate effectively. You will have a clear understanding of the legal requirements of CDM and other legislation relevant to design and construction activities.
The main responsibility will be to undertake the role of Principal Designer on assigned projects and undertake the duties as defined in the CDM Regs 2015 including to:
- plan, manage, monitor and coordinate health and safety in the pre-construction phase. In doing so they must take account of relevant information (such as an existing health and safety file) that might affect design work carried out both before and after the construction phase has started
- help and advise the client in bringing together pre-construction information, and provide the information designers and contractors need to carry out their duties
- work with any other designers on the project to eliminate foreseeable health and safety risks to anyone affected by the work and, where that is not possible, take steps to reduce or control those risks
- ensure that everyone involved in the pre-construction phase communicates and cooperates, coordinating their work wherever required
- liaise with the principal contractor, keeping them informed of any risks that need to be controlled during the construction phase
Skills / Qualifications
Skills / Experience
- A high degree of understanding and knowledge on the application of the CDM Regulations to building / infrastructure project, specifically as a CDM Advisor / Principal Designer
- Significant post qualification experience in either design or construction management including experience of leading design teams
- Experience working in a consultancy environment and operating as advisor to the project client
- Strong inter-personal skills and the ability to actively step in and coordinate the resolution of Health and Safety issues across multiple organisations
- Good communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to work collaboratively across design organisations and mediate issues to ensure full consideration of H&S in design and appropriate exchange of information
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint is required
- Experience in the full project life cycle through detailed design and into construction
- Experience of Design Management in an infrastructure sector
- Experience of designing in BIM and use of design technologies for exchange of information
- Understanding of appropriate design standards applicable to buildings / infrastructure design and construction
- Knowledge of contract management under NEC forms of contract, particularly the contract roles
- Understanding of temporary works design and associated risks
- Experience in project management including management of consultancy services contracts
- Qualified to degree level (or equivalent) in a relevant construction or engineering related discipline
- Professionally qualified in a construction related discipline (MRICS, MICE, MCIOB, RIBA or equivalent)
- Health and Safety qualification (e.g. NEBOSH Construction Certificate, MSc qualification, Certified Membership of APS or ICE H&S Register)
- Chartered Engineer status and membership of relevant professional body
- Masters Degree in Engineering Related Subject or appropriate Post graduate qualification
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.