Skills: IT - Software Development
Experience: 30 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Oceaneering AGV Systems, an Oceaneering International Company, develops, implements and markets Automated Guided Vehicle Systems (AGVs), navigation hardware, and software. We offer customized and automated transport solutions to efficiently, competitively and effectively meet the ever-increasing transport demands of various industries by increasing productivity, reliability, flexibility and safety standards through innovation, expertise and robustness. Oceaneering AGV Systems has been delivering automatic guided vehicle solutions to the world's leading companies for 30 years.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click Automated Guided Vehicles (AGVs).
Duties & Responsibilities
As a AGV Application Engineer you will be responsible for implementing, testing, supporting and installing our AGV software suite (both on a SCADA and on a embedded/vehicle level). Day to day you will configure the existing vehicle software framework as needed for new project and installed base. This included generating AGV layouts, implement traffic rules, optimizing vehicle parameters, calibrate vehicles, and test software in simulation and on actual devices. Working in a multidisciplinary team you will be responsible for making sure that the software systems meet the customer specifications and work within their site constraints. You provide both logistical and technical insight to create solutions that provide optimal automation performance. Given that we have global customers you are willing to travel and stay abroad for several weeks at a time. You are supporting the successful installation at the customer site.
- Responsible for implementing and testing the control software for AGV systems on supervisory and vehicle level.
- Translate customer requirements into logistical AGV solutions including layout and traffic optimization, vehicle performance improvement and using existing infrastructure in the most efficient configuration
- Ability to tune control loops for AGV driving and handling.
- Interfacing the vehicle software to vehicle control hardware such as motor controllers, proximity detectors, and wheel encoders;
- Supporting the commissioning and deployment of AGV systems;
- Troubleshooting and fixing software issues;
- Testing the application software and interfaces to the vehicle;
- Writing requirements, detailed design documentation, and test cases;
- Providing support for field issues.
- Prepare estimates and participate in the bid process for new projects;
- Analyzing and modifying traffic and logic rules to optimize material flow and vehicle performance;
- Continuously improving our processes and procedures to optimize development efficiency;
- Working in a multidisciplinary and multi-national team.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Reports to Software team leader, OASYS
- Technical Bachelor degree, preferably in Computer Science, Automation Technology or Information Technology or equivalent work experience;
- Minimum 3 years of experience in writing application software for industrial applications;
- Proficient with Linux and Windows operating systems;
- Experience with programming serial, CAN and network communications (UDP and TCP);
- Experience with configuring industrial control systems preferably in the logistics domain;
- Understanding of networking hardware and software including UDP and TCP;
- Experience with writing requirements, design documentation, and test cases;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Dutch and German is a plus;
- Ability to read and understand existing product code;
- Ability to act independently generating innovative solutions to complex problems;
- Ability to read and understand wiring diagrams;
- Working knowledge of electronic and electromechanical devices such as analog inputs and outputs, quadrature encodes, relays, solenoids, proximity sensors, etc.;
- Customer focused attitude;
- Willingness to travel and stay abroad several weeks at a time during system installation;
- Ability to remain calm and professional in a demanding and dynamic work environment;
- Experience with issue tracking systems, preferably Jira.
- Experience with versions software control systems.
- Experience with designing logistical solutions
- Experience with controlling autonomous robots.
- Experience with programmable logic controllers (PLCs).
- Experience with CAN Open
- Experience with XML, web services and web user interfaces
This position is considered OFFICE WORK which is characterized as follows.
- Almost exclusively indoors during the day and occasionally at night
- Occasional exposure to airborne dust in the work place
- Work surface is stable (flat)
- Requires working indoors in environmentally controlled conditions
- Job tasks are performed in close proximity to other people
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is considered LIGHT work.
We offer a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package and the opportunity to advance in an international company. To apply, click 'Apply Now'.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.