Skills: Geologist, Environmental Engineer
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood's Resilient Environment's group is currently seeking a Junior Hydrologist to join our dynamic mining team in Oakville, ON.
This is an exciting opportunity for a new grad looking to gain experience or for a junior level candidate looking to grow their career! During the open water season, the Junior Hydrologist would be expected to split their time in the office and the field.
Ideal candidates will have a Bachelor of Science degree in civil / environmental engineering, an Engineer-in-Training certification, 1-3 years of hydrologic/hydraulic modeling experience (mining industry experience preferred), and experience conducting stream flow monitoring / installation programs. Candidates should be self-starters, independent workers, and have strong problem solving and critical thinking skills.
Travel to remote mining sites is required. Candidates should be comfortable with extended periods of travel, as well as travel by boat and helicopter.
Key Office Responsibilities:
- Perform water balance calculations
- Develop hydrologic and hydraulic models for mining applications
- Design of hydraulic structures related to mine water management
- Produce written engineering reports
Key Field Responsibilities:
- Development of Health and Safety Plans;
- Installation of continuous stream flow and lake level monitoring stations;
- In-situ flow measurements and topographic benchmark surveys;
- Ordering/booking field materials, equipment and travel.
- Analysis of field data, writing of field and installation reports.
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in civil/environmental engineering or equivalent
- Experience with hydrologic and hydraulic modeling (HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, SWMHYMO and SWMM model suites)
- Experience with hydraulic structure design - channels, culverts, weirs and spillways
- Experience conducting stream flow monitoring / installation programs
- Knowledge of mine water management a plus
- Strong attention to Health and Safety measures; First Aid certification is a plus
- Experience using AutoCAD and GIS mapping software a plus
- Technical writing and communications skills
- Full G drivers license is required
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.