Posted: Oct 12, 2021
Posted: Oct 12, 2021
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Port Hope, Ontario, Canada
Wood is currently recruiting for a Radiation Protection Technician with entry level experience in the nuclear industry.
Radiation protection (RP) technicians are responsible for the day-to-day operation of the site's radiation protection program. Routine activities include:
- Measurement of gamma radiation fields.
- Measurement of surface contamination using either radiation detectors or swipe sampling.
- Collection of air samples.
- Management of personal dosimeters for the workforce.
- Deployment of radon monitors.
- Ensure control and calibration of all radiation detection equipment.
- Delivery of training to site workers.
- Summary and analysis of routine data for compilation into routine reports.
- Ensuring compliance with site radiation safety procedures by workers and visitors.
- Maintenance of RP facilities and equipment.
- Support the RP management and site management teams.
- Additional tasks as necessary.
RP technicians are expected to actively support site activities by promptly responding to requests for RP services. Much of this work is expected to be outdoors.
All of this work will be done in a team environment (other RP staff, site staff, other employees and other individuals who are on site).
Skills / Qualifications
- Demonstrate an understanding of radiation safety principles consistent with their background and training.
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate in English, both written and verbal.
- Ability to sort, compile and summarize routine data using typical Microsoft Office products such as Excel.
- Act as role models for compliance with the site radiation protection program.
- Perform all assigned tasks diligently and thoroughly assuring complete and accurate documentation as required.
- Bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering, radiation science or health physics (or related field) preferred.
- College diploma / certificate in radiation science or radiation protection (or related field) preferred.
- College diploma / certificate in environmental science acceptable.
- Individuals with previous work experience as an RP technician will be considered.
- No experience needed for college and university grads in a relevant field.
- Two years of experience preferred for those with different education.
Radiation Protection Technicians are generally not involved in tasks that would be considered heavy labour. The site is environmentally challenging with some temperature extremes involved (very cold to very warm). Precautions are always utilized in these cases. They will be expected to walk outdoors (sometimes in rugged terrain) regularly while carrying instrumentation. RP Technician may be required to use ladders.
All RP techs must be capable of wearing PPE, including respirators if required. Site-specific radiation protection PPE will be provided.
- All RP Techs will be required to obtain the necessary Government of Canada security clearance.
The site is nominally operated from sunrise to sunset Monday to Friday. Some overtime may be requested (e.g. before hours, after hours or occasional weekends). The hours worked may be adjusted to suit requirements (such as an early shift from 6:00 am to 3:00 pm or a later shift 9:00 am to 6:00 pm). The work week is nominally 40 h per week. Adjustments based on the site requirements will be necessary from time to time. A typical shift includes paid time off for breaks and unpaid lunch periods.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.