Skills: Laboratory Ops / Tech
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood's team of professionals offers a full range of services to clients in a wide range of sectors including government, industrial & commercial, water, transportation, minerals & metals, oil & gas and clean energy.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Intermediate Civil Materials Technician to join our team in Calgary, AB. This position will support the Certified Civil Engineering Laboratory (concrete, aggregate, soil, asphalt) by conducting field and laboratory testing services within the Calgary region.
- Provide quality control and quality assurance inspection and testing on a variety of laboratory and field projects including but not limited to aggregate production, earthworks, concrete, asphalt and field density programs
- Provide a high level of client service
- Ensure clear communication to client representatives and the Wood team
- Train and mentor junior staff
- Prepare field and lab reports
- Other responsibilities may include assisting geotechnical and environmental staff with field investigations, geotechnical instrumentation, and sampling
- Given the nature of our work, out of town work may be required, from time to time.
Skills / Qualifications
- Completion of a Civil or Construction Engineering Technology program
- Ideally five (5) plus years of related materials testing experience including soil, aggregate, concrete, and asphalt. Candidates with less than 5 years of experience may be considered
- Knowledge of CSA, ASTM, and Provincial test methods an asset
- Detail oriented, organized, team player and self-motivated
- Well organized approach to work, with the ability to manage and prioritize several tasks at one time and ensure commitment to service and technical excellence
- Willingness and ability to work outdoors for long days in rough terrain, harsh elements
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Must be able to lift independently up to a maximum of 25 kg
- Flexible to work overtime as required
- Commitment to wear all appropriate Personal Protective Equipment
- Valid Class 5 Driver's License with a clean driver's abstract
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.