Posted: Oct 19, 2021
Posted: Oct 19, 2021
Skills: Design Engineer, Electrical Engineering, Instrument & Controls Engineer
Other Skills: Electrical Design, Electrical Power and Control Systems, electrical and hydraulic integration, renewables
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: United Kingdom
Hydrasun is a recognised market leader in the provision of integrated fluid transfer, power and control solutions. We are focused on supporting the energy transition through our work in the oil and gas, renewable energy, general industrial and marine industries worldwide.
We are recruiting for an experienced Electrical Design Engineer (EDE) at our Glasgow office, to take responsibility for the design and development of new electrical systems for various applications and assume the position of Electrical Technical Authority for the Company. The EDE's remit is to ensure that the electrical input to all capital projects is delivered technically fit for purpose and compliant with relevant legislation, standards and industry guidelines.
This role may require intermittent travel to project sites for occasional meetings and surveys. The EDE must be organised, a multitasker and able to work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
Candidates should be suitably qualified in Electrical Engineering and be experienced in engineering design, development and manufacture of electrical power and control systems.
Essential Experience, Qualifications and Competencies
- Degree / HND in Electrical Engineering.
- 5-10 year's experience in detailed engineering and design of electrical works
- Relevant, previous experience of working in a design engineering environment
- Experience of carrying out engineering design, development and manufacture of electrical power and control systems
- Proficient in the design of electrical power and control systems, that integrate with hydraulic systems.
- General knowledge of other related disciplines
- Must be self-motivated, results oriented, and be flexible to work well under tight schedules in a fast paced multi-disciplinary team environment
- Fully familiar with international codes, standards and recommended practices standards e.g. ANSI, IEEE, IEC, NEC, ISA, NEMA, CSA, UL, API as well as hazardous area classifications and equipment
- Proficient in design and calculation software.
- MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Project experience.
- CAD systems
- Effective oral and written communications and excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to deal effectively with the design team in the resolution of project related issues
- Good organisational and administration skills
- Ability to maintain a professional and focused approach at all times, particularly when customer facing
Desirable Experience, Qualifications and Competencies
- Working towards or Chartered Status
- Experience working in an Oil and Gas Service Company environment.
- Experience of integrating electrical systems with hydraulic systems
- Active participation in engineering reviews and/or investigations with customers
- AutoCAD or similar
- Experience in a 'new energies' business (renewables, hydrogen, wind, wave, solar)
- Knowledge of materials and processes used within Offshore/Onshore oil and gas and Marine operations
- Training and competency in renewable technologies
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Implement project/client requirements into electrical design.
- Prepare electrical load list, schematic diagrams, single line diagrams, cable schedules and MTO.
- Perform calculations for equipment sizing, UPS, cable sizing, lighting, grounding and heat tracing.
- Prepare specifications, data sheets, cable schedules and interface schedules.
- Produce material take-off and material requisition.
- Review and input to Bids and Technical Evaluation.
- Design and checking of single lines, schematics and wiring diagrams, area classification, grounding, panel/cable schedules, equipment layout, cable layout, tray layout, lighting and installation details.
- Review and coordinate electrical models with the other disciplines.
- Design, implement, review and coordinate electrical 2D CAD drawings.
- Review vendor drawings.
- Visit construction/plant sites and fabrication/manufacturing facilities during design phase on as required basis.
- Attend Factory Acceptance Tests (FAT's) and Sites Acceptance Tests (SAT's) for equipment on assigned projects.
- Provide construction support and assist with pre-commissioning, commissioning and start-up activities for electrical systems when required.
- Coordinate the efforts of Electrical Sub-Contractor(s), ensuring that the Contractor meets expectation in terms of time, cost, quality & HSE.
- Supports the Construction Department in the preparation and review of Construction Contracts, selection of bidders, evaluation of tenders and the attending of site meetings as may be required.
- Provide information where necessary to estimate the cost of contract changes on assigned projects. Alert the Project Engineer / Project Manager to circumstances considered to be subject to contract change.
- Advise the Engineering Manager of any slippages / deviations and their causes and proposed corrective action and of any technical problems and unresolved differences with other groups.
- Liaise with Customer Focal points to ensure the pro-active management and delivery of the Services, in line with client contracts and individual project/work scopes
- Liaise direct with clients to inform them of Hydrasun Services and where these services can provide added value.
- Identify and supply pro-active asset management proposals to customers in order that we are adding value to our existing services.
- Present work scope and asset presentations and deliver to customers.
- Liaise with other departments to ensure clarity of understanding of all customer/project requirements.
- Ensure knowledge of industry developments is kept up to date.
- Ensure development and improvement of existing products and services.
- Ensure activities within the electrical discipline meet agreed target completion dates.
- Provision of accurate and detailed reports encompassing all aspects of Key Areas of Responsibility.
Continuous Improvement / Personal Development
- Responsibility for understanding and working towards company targets and objectives.
- Responsibility for understanding, agreeing and achieving personal objectives set by Line Manager.
- To adhere to the procedures as detailed in the HSE Management System and Quality Management System.
- To adhere to company procedures as laid down by the Human Resource Management System and to take an active part in the Performance Management Process and the Competence and Training Programme.
- To adhere to any duty rota which may be in force. (Weekend/evening on call, etc.).
- To complete timesheets, where required, on a timely basis.
- To put forward any suggestions for improvements.
- To attend formal Team Briefings when requested in your own time.
- To be a team member and actively promote communication and information sharing.
Hydrasun is a leading specialist provider of integrated fluid transfer, power and control solutions to the energy industries, successfully delivering flexible hose, integrated instrumentation products, umbilical solutions and integrity management services worldwide.
Our product and service offering is driven by customer requirements to continuously improve safety, quality, technical integrity, reliability, environmental awareness and value for money. Through our established global network of operational bases and partnerships we offer:
•Umbilicals & Subsea Connectors
•Hydraulic Power & Control
•Instrumentation & Process Control
•Engineering & Technical Support
Hydrasun currently exports to around 60 countries, which has included developing significant sales in countries such as Angola, Brazil and USA. The company has international operational bases established in Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, UAE, Brazil and The Netherlands as well as a further presence in West Africa and the US Gulf of Mexico.
The company’s global staff numbers have increased by around 100 in the past year to a total workforce of nearly 600 currently.
Hydrasun was recently awarded the coveted Overall Global Business of the Year at the Northern Star Business Awards 2012, along with awards for Achievement in International Business and Outstanding Contribution to Society.