Posted: Oct 29, 2021
Posted: Oct 29, 2021
Skills: Field Development
Experience: 8 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Field Geotechnical Engineer
NES Fircroft is a leading global technical recruitment company providing professional contract and permanent staff to a diverse world-wide client base within the Oil & Gas Industry.
Our client in the Calgary AB is currently looking to hire a Field Geotechnical Engineer to join their team for a 1-year contract.
We are seeking a candidate who has Geotechnical Engineer knowledge and experience as a field engineer this position would be part of the Engineering team. Traits we would look for in a successful candidate would be the ability to take initiative as well as being able to work well with a team when implementing new projects.
- Collaborate with the senior geotechnical engineers of the project to design materials, structures, and systems while considering the limitations imposed by practicality, regulation, safety, and cost.
- Identify geotechnical hazards/instabilities on Project, select mitigations, and develop site specific installation designs in collaboration with the Company Geotechnical Engineering Subject-Matter-Experts (SME) for hazards impacting the pipeline and/or long-term stability of the Right-of-Way (ROW).
- Produce engineering solutions, act as the Company representative on-site with the pipeline construction contractor.
- Interface with the CGL Implementation Team, Pipeline Construction Contractor's geotechnical engineer, CGL Engineering Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), and CGL Geotechnical Engineering Contractor.
- Provide engineering solutions that lead to effective monitoring, assessment, and management of geotechnical hazards on pipeline assets, with consideration given for the safety and quality of the solution and life cycle costs for the program.
- This position is viewed as the Company geotechnical expert at site with high technical knowledge and experience. The role requires the ability to make decisions and recommendations on problems presented at site, while assessing the pros/cons of the options present to provide the best solution for the specific situation.
- Bachelor's degree or a master's degree in civil engineering with a focus on Geotechnical Engineering.
- P.Eng. designation and eligible for registration with EGBC
- Linear pipeline project experience, preferably with large diameter pipelines
- Min. of 8 years of experience (preferably majority of the experience is in the field)
- Knowledge in geotechnical investigations and drilling techniques in western Canada, geotechnical instrumentation / monitoring, and open cut/trenchless crossing techniques
- Previously demonstrated dedication to safety
- Ability and initiative to work independently, display creativity, and exercise sound judgement
- Demonstrated superior organizational skills and proven ability to manage projects within scope and budget
- Effective analytical skills
- Skills to effectively operate in a team-oriented environment with a willingness to support team objectives
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to work closely with field teams, management, third party resources, and coordinate work with other appropriate technical resources
- Ability to effectively interact with all levels of the organization
- Ability to handle rapidly shifting priorities and multiple activities concurrently, requiring resolution of complex problems in stressful situations
- Because of the remoteness, this position requires the ability to safely drive on the ROW and forestry roads on different weather conditions to arrive to the construction areas.
- Computer skills are required (Excel, Power Point, among others) to record findings, records tracking, and presentation.
Location / Travel / Length of Contract:
• Fly in Fly out - Rotation will be implemented - The successful candidate would work on a 3 weeks on/1 week off schedule with the ability to travel back to Calgary during the week off. Field locations could be in various areas of NE BC (CGL extends from Fort St. John to Kitimat.
• Contract length TBD
• This is a field-based role on the Coastal GasLink (CGL) project
The ability to stand for long periods is essential with extensive walking and occasional sitting. The nature of the position will require the candidate to perform a wide range of tasks, both hands-on in the production facility and within a site environment.
We look forward to receiving your resume highlighting the details of your education and work history. This position is available immediately and will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining, Automotive and Chemicals sectors worldwide.With more than 100 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.