Skills: Construction Manager
Experience: 15 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Port Hope, Ontario, Canada
Wood is seeking a strong Construction Manager, with leadership capabilities, for a greenfield construction project in Eastern Ontario.
This is a strategic role. Reporting to the Project Manager at site, the successful candidate will form part of the project leadership team, will have responsibility for planning and management of construction execution activities, and the oversight of superintendents and sub-contractors. The candidate will ensure the construction is executed in compliance with the contract, scope and requirements, and performed to the highest standards of safety and quality.
Wood's Remediation business is thriving and growing; we have a solid backlog of projects, and a number of large scale recent wins. If you have a successful track record as a "hands-on" Construction Manager, on large-scale construction projects (Construction remediation is an asset), and you thrive on challenges in a fast-paced environment, this is the opportunity for you.
We offer a comprehensive Benefits Package (Medical, Dental, Insurance), Health Care spending account, Paid time off, and a 100% vested RRSP matching program.
Come join the winning team!
- Develops the construction sequencing and execution plan, including early site mobilization logistics.
- Develops construction work breakdown structure work packages and provides input to Procurement and Contracting Work Packages
- Primary contributor towards the development and maintenance of the construction schedule, in conjunction with Project Management and Project Controls
- Manages and mentors Senior Site Superintendents and Functional leads including Health and Safety and Environmental Protection on day-to-day responsibilities
- Oversees recruitment and performance of Wood's construction personnel, heavy equipment operators and field labor
- Enforces Safety, Health, Environment, and Security requirements with all Construction Sub-Contractors and Supply Chain Vendors
- Ensures strong interaction and collaboration between construction disciplines, including civil, structural, electrical, mechanical subcontractors and interfacing work packages. Ensures construction work is properly delineated, assigned, and supervised.
- Leads clarification, interpretation, interference resolution and quality matters
- Primary reviewer/contributor towards engineering designs and field changes. Leads constructability reviews and provides constructability input throughout the project life cycle.
- Creates, reviews, and responds to construction requests for information (RFIs)
- Effectively communicates with internal Wood project personnel, client representatives, stakeholders and sub-contractors on all aspects of the work
- Monitors the construction execution to ensure that work flows smoothly and is delivered to customer's expectations
- Proactively ensures construction performance measures are being monitored and achieved.
- Contributes towards project status reports outlining items of concern such as look-ahead, safety observations, non-conformances to drawings and specifications, risks, delays, quality control and potential field changes.
- Mentor Superintendents, ensuring oversight of decisions, driving innovative thinking and efficiencies on the job
- Monitor field staff and sub-contractor performance and expenditures
Skills / Qualifications
- Minimum 15-20 years of experience in construction management within a civil construction or heavy industrial project environment
- Must have at least 10 years increasing responsibility as a construction manager along with a focus on heavy civil construction; the last 5 years must have been on large scale projects in Canada
- Will have large scale ($100-$250 Mn) project experience
- Engineering technologist diploma or, a graduate degree in related field is considered an asset
- Intimate knowledge of construction legislation, standards, and guidelines in Ontario
- Proficient computer skills
- Experience in a highly regulated nuclear environment (or equivalent) would be an asset
- Remediation background is an asset
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Demonstrated commitment to Health and Safety
- Strong ability to interpret and analyze detailed design drawings and specifications
- Willingness to travel
- Must be eligible to work in Canada without sponsorship
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.