Skills: Environmental, Safety & Training, Materials Management
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Wood Environment & Infrastructure's core competencies are in environmental assessments, health and environmental risk assessment, environmental geology (site investigation), remediation engineering, transportation engineering, geotechnical engineering, infrastructure engineering, and testing, and water resource services.
We are seeking a Hazardous Materials Practice Leader for our growing hazardous materials practice in British Columbia. In this role, the successful candidate will be working within our broader Occupational Health and Safety team and national and international professional practice networks. Wood's hazardous materials practice includes inspections, surveys, and abatement and demolition support predominantly for asbestos, but also including PCBs, lead, silica, mould and other regulated materials. The practice has an expanding clientele and growing number of staff. Wood does not directly perform hazardous materials abatement contracting services.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not necessarily be limited to:
- Managing hazardous materials assessment or remediation oversite projects, including asbestos, lead, PCBs, mercury components, ozone-depleting substances, suspect visible microbial growth and other process contaminants.
- Leading the BC practice, including serving as client account manager and leading business development activities for the practice.
- Training, directing, mentoring, and coaching team members conducting hazardous materials practice work.
- Serving as a subject matter expert advising clients in hazardous material abatement requirements in a consulting role.
- Leading the hazardous material portions of large multi-discipline Wood projects and proposals that involve hazardous material assessment or abatement.
- Overseeing the preparation of, or reviewing of, hazardous materials management exposure control plans and programs.
- Preparing or reviewing hazardous materials abatement and remediation specifications (e.g. Canadian National Master Specifications).
- Managing on-site inspection and monitoring services during hazardous materials abatement and remediation projects.
- Preparing or managing the preparation of accurate, succinct written reports, programs and proposals
- Collaborating with the OHS Group Lead and senior staff in implementing and maintaining quality standards and technical procedures.
- Working with and supporting the regional and national Wood OHS Team
- Working with and eventually serving on the Wood Asbestos Safety Board.
- Keeping abreast of current industry knowledge, guidelines, and applicable legislation, interpret Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) legislation and effectively communicate requirements and responsibilities to management.
Skills / Qualifications
- Post-secondary education in Occupational Health and Safety, Hazardous Materials Management or related disciplines.
- 10+ years' demonstrable experience conducting all aspects of hazardous materials work, and in particular large scale complex asbestos survey and abatement projects for industry and government clients.
- Experience serving as a client account manager and/or project manager in a consulting capacity.
- Enthusiastic and positive attitude and commitment to technical excellence
- Experience serving as a manager to technical staff both in a supervisory role and on a project basis.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. Must be able to read, comprehend and proof-read written reports and correspondence.
- Formal hazardous materials training (e.g., AHERA Building Inspector Course, Alberta Asbestos Worker Course, Hazardous Materials Technician Course, Lead Inspector and Risk Assessor Course, Mould Assessment and Remediation Course, etc.)
- Excellent technical knowledge of applicable regulations, standards, guidelines, best practices and monitoring protocols related to hazardous materials.
- Able to write, edit, read, and understand specifications, drawings, reports and RFP/RFQ documentation.
- Strong computer and skills primarily with Microsoft Office programs.
- Must be willing to travel independently, up to two weeks a month out of town (as and when required)
- Valid driver's license and clean driving record
- Must be willing to travel when necessary, to meet clients and supervise or conduct project work.
- Hold / able to obtain reliability level security clearance for government contracts.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.