Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is searching for a Heavy Civil Project Manager to create delivery excellence across their assigned project/portfoli and provide certainty and confidence to the customer/project sponsor, and robust control of project scope, schedule, cost and risk. This person specifies and coordinates the implementation and completion of a moderate sized project, portfolio of small projects, or a major component of a large project. This includes responsibility for safe delivery, ensuring that quality, schedule, and cost targets are met and for managing the associated risk. Responsible for delivery of project to agreed specifications, for managing change and customer relationships, and ensuring appropriate reporting and governance is adhered to and controlled. Project Execution:
- Contributes to and reviews the project proposal and plan to determine timeframe, procedures for accomplishing the project, staffing requirements, and allotment of available resources to various phases of the project. Contributes to setting project evaluation parameters.
- P & L responsibility with associated commercial and financial accountability including revenue delivery, margin and overhead management, budget and forecast determination and attainment, risk and opportunity reviews, cost controls, accounts payable/billing and cash collection
- Negotiates changes to project scope or specification with the client. Follows Change Management process to identify and approve scope, budget specification and schedule modifications
- Establishes project procedures and prepares project execution plan including the scope of work, deliverables list, master schedule, budget, org charts, risk register etc
- Identify, pursue and develop opportunities for innovation, such as digitalisation and technology use, work share and high value engineering centres, to bring value to Wood and customer
- Regularly reports project progress to senior management and/or the client.
- Reponsible for delivery of agreed schedule and financial performance, proactively intervening to avoid slippage
- Leads ongoing focus on risk identification and mitigation during project execution
- Participate in assurance activities and peer reviews
- Responsible for the project HSSE leadership, ensures a program of initiatives and auditing schedule are established and that HSSE and quality management issues are proactively addressed
- Guides and directs a multidiscipline project team, which may include external specialists and involve staff from multiple offices and sites
- Responsible for ensuring project team members are competent to carry out assigned duties
- Promotes and sets up performance improvement culture and actions on complex projects and into
their supply chains.
- Facilitates the set up of information management systems / applications as applicable to suit various life phases of projects and manage information management project team
- Assess the scope, complexity and financial risk associated with the project and involvement in the negotiation of the terms, visibility of project in local community, and attracting the required staff based on their credibility and experience
Skills / Qualifications Qualifications:
- Passionately pursues and supports, demonstrates and embeds company values.
- Is a champion and role model for ethical behaviour and compliance with applicable laws and policies.
- Oversees proposals and call-offs (may be individual projects) within delegation of authority, ensuring compliance with contracting policy and standards of ethical conduct.
- Teaches and empowers others to make decisions within established parameters
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- University degree in relevant discipline, preferrably Construction Management, Construction Management Technology or Engineering
- Project Management Professional (PMP), Associate in Project Management (APM) or equivalent
certification is preferred
- Typically requires 10-15 years of pertinent experience including minimum 10 years project management experience, mastering their area and knowledgeable about impacts on other areas.
- Strong technical skill as relevant to the project scope(s)
- Good level of experience in the related field, industry, and locations of the work
- Proven project management experience as well as a good understanding of business issues
- In-depth understanding of project goals, drivers and strategies
- Proven track record of effectively managing complex projects
- Knowledge of work flow management, established policies for engineering ownership, globalization of projects and request for tender process
- Detailed knowledge and experience of stakeholder and requirements management
- Knowledgeable about how multi-phase project budgets, including risk contingencies, are assembled
- Skilled Practitioner in Risk Management processes, well versed in how risks are transposed into cost, time and contingency estimates and forecasts
- Advanced knowledge of various forms of contracts across many types of goods and services.
- Able to create new appropriate contracting frameworks and negotiate to successful conclusion.
- Able to manage project start-up, produce and communicate the project execution plan
- Knowledge of project performance improvement activities and how to implement them on projects
- Knowledge of supplier categorisation able to devise appropriate commercial acquisition strategies
- Advanced knowledge of schedule risk analysis and incorporating results in the base plan
- Understands how changes influence performance and how they should be recorded and managed in different situations. Some knowledge of techniques for recovering poor performance.
- Understanding of the value and timing of changes and their impact on project performance. Can evaluate changes to propose possible other routes for timing of changes.
- Understands the needs of information management requirements in the project phases (operation), internal (contractual, statutory) and asset (client) documentation.
- Good knowledge of archiving and close-out requirements, their purpose and value (including legal requirements). Able to negotiate appropriate close-out terms with all key stakeholders.
- Ability to effectively manage resources (personnel, equipment, materials etc)
- Good understanding of Cash Flow management as well as projection/forecast of cost at completion
- Safety focused with an uncompromising approach to risk management. Places the welfare of both internal and customer employees at the top of the agenda.
- Able to motivate, engage and influence a diverse group of people, many without a direct reporting relationship
- Customer focused - develops sincere and open relationships with customers, current and potential; constantly striving to exceed expectations and add value. Able to develop and maintain strong client relationships, including ability to influence
- Ability to effectively manage resources (personnel, equipment, materials etc)
- Exceptional negotiation skills and ability to handle sensitive communications
- Excellent verbal, written and presentational communication skills
- Strong influencer, negotiator and mediator
- Flexible to respond and adapt to changing internal and external context
- Decisive, with ability to make decisions and follow through, ensuring learnings are captured
- Strong team builder capable of identifying and adopting best practices, engendering a spirit of cooperation and energising people towards optimum performance enabling cross functional best practice
- Pragmatic in approach with a strong commercial bias and ability to balance commerciality with operational excellence
- Entrepreneurial approach - ability to identify opportunities
- Flexible to respond in agile ways to changing client needs
- A motivated self starter, able to use own initiative and have autonomy to make appropriate decisions
- Critical thinker with problem solving abilities
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com Diversity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.