Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: United Kingdom
Kuiper Group is currently recruiting for the position of Workshop Manager to manage its welding and fabrication workshop based in Clydebank. This role would be great for an experienced coded welder/fabricator who has done several years within a workshop as a chargehand/supervisor and is looking to take the next step in their career. Within the workshop you will have diverse workload, giving you opportunity to work on an array of projects.
The successful candidate will have overall responsibility for all operations within our welding and fabrication department and will manage the relationship with our subcontractors and suppliers and customers. They will actively seek continuous improvements to all processes and management systems. The main responsibilities will include:
· Day to day safe and efficient running of the fabricating workshop. Ensuring workshop and staff are compliant to all the Groups H & S, Environmental, COSHH and Quality standards.
· Experience in the manufacture of Portal frames, beams, steel stairs and secondary steel and be competent in costing such work.
· Layout and organise the fabrication process to provide maximum efficiency and process controls.
· Planning and monitoring work within the workshop, using supervisory skills to ensure non- productive time is minimised.
· Carry out regular workload reviews, forward planning project requirements to ensure effective workshop performance.
· Cost effective identification, control and procurement of all tools and equipment relating to all work activities to ensure smooth progression of projects from workshop to customer.
· Ensure that quality of work carried out in the workshop satisfies organisational standards and customer expectations.
· Maintain dialogue with customers to ensure timely response to their requirements.
· Stores inventory control.
· Ensure that all staff are fully trained to operate all equipment and machines safely.
· Conduct monthly workshop meetings to review performance, discuss, identify, and address any underlying issues.
· Site visits to fully understand project requirements, taking critical measurements to assist design draughtsman and highlighting specific project requirements for lifting / access equipment.
· Seek new Business leads and provide necessary technical assistance in tendering for jobs.
· Interpret workshop/design drawings and job sheets, complete production schedules and allocate works making best use of inhouse facilities and external cutting and machining services to ensure completion dates are met and to a consistent standard of quality.
· Liaise with the Group Management team on work scheduling and multi-company projects.
Candidates should have the following competencies: -
· Extensive management skills of general metalwork, fabrication and welding of mild steel, aluminium, brass, and stainless steel.
· Experience of machinery used for general fabrication.
· Management/Supervisory experience in a production environment and be an effective communicator.
· A strong approach to quality and health & safety and ensuring that standards and procedures are adhered to.
· The ability to interpret and read design drawings and instruct staff on with best practise for manufacture.
· The ability to plan, organise workload, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
· Strong communication and leadership skills with the ability to motivate others.
· Respect for Diversity.