Posted: Nov 30, 2021
Posted: Nov 30, 2021
Skills: Instrument & Controls Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Midrand, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Senior Instrument Engineer with extensive experience in the Oil & Gas, Petrochemical or similar sector of the industry to provide support to our Client in the execution of projects.
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the design and approval of all Instrument work on assigned projects.
- Responsible for preparation and approval of project related standards, philosophies and job notes.
- Ensure that engineering activities on assigned projects are executed within budgeted manhours and approved schedules in compliance with project procedures, standards and specifications and in accordance with procedures and the requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act of South Africa.
- Review and approve project schedules with the Project Engineer to see that all dates, rates of progress and design periods are realistic.
- Prepare and approve project specific standards and job procedures,
- Reflect control and instrument requirements on project MFD's / P&ID's utilising ISA standards and symbology and client standards where applicable.
- Prepare project instrument index reflecting all instrumentation requirements inclusive of instrument type selection compliant to process criteria.
- Prepare requisition index for Instrument work, indicating planned issue date for each requisition. Update and re-issue monthly.
- Check and approve the drawing index for Instrument drawings.
- Develop and approve control/safety requirements and philosophies for ESD/DCS systems and generate contract requiistions.
- Attend and and co-ordinate system FAT/SAT's.
- Design and requisition Instrumentation. This includes instrument size and protection methodology calculations and verification checks.
- Assist the designers with the preparation of Instrument drawings and provide C&I input.
- Review and approve all Instrument drawings and ensure that the quality of design and drawings produced for enquiry and fabrication purposes is of satisfactory standard.
- Prepare technical bid analysis for Instrumentation.
- Attend coordination meetings and engineering review meetings with supplier as required.
- Review document requirements and issue dates for major equipment with suppliers and assist Procurement Department in compiling a Supplier's Document Index.
- Assist Procurement Department with the expediting of supplier documents.
- Review and approve supplier documents for Instrumentation and distribute.
- Review in conjunction with Procurement Department all claims by supplier for an increase in the engineering scope of work.
- Give guidance to client, project engineers, other specialist engineers and inspectors on Instrument engineering matters. Review Instrument aspects of package unit supplier's drawings as requested by the engineer responsible for the equipment.
- Ensure that Instrument engineering operations are complete in accordance with the approved project schedule and within allocated manhours.
- Advise the Chief Instrument Engineer of any slippages and their causes and proposed corrective action.
- Advise the Chief Instrument Engineer of any technical problems and unresolved differences with other groups.
- Co-ordinate with Procurement Department and ensure certified drawings are available in time to meet the engineering schedules.
- Notify the Project Engineer of all deficiencies in the flow of data or other basic information required for execution of work.
- Provide progress report information, at the required frequency and with the required content, to the Project Engineer.
- Provide information where necessary to estimating the cost of contract changes, Alert the Project Engineer / Project Manager to circumstances considered to be subject to contract change.
- Follow up Instrumentation construction work on project sites to ensure correct interpretation of designs regarding installation.
- Keep abreast of development in the Instrument engineering field.
- Suggest ways to improve efficiency, costs and service in the execution of projects.
- Attend the required projects reviews and provide C&I input.
- Perform such duties as may reasonably be assigned by the Chief Instrument Engineer.
Skills / Qualifications
- BSc, BEng or BTech/NDip with equivalent experience
- In-Tools 6.0 or Higher
- 5 Years minimum experience.
- Initiative - Grasps new or unfamiliar concepts quickly and can effectively deal with complexity and ambiguity. Identifies issues in a constructive manner and recommends solutions. Uses innovative and novel approaches to find solutions
- Change and Adaptability - Gains awareness for, and an understanding of, the position of stakeholders. Readily adapts to changing circumstances
- Interpersonal Commnunications - Actively listens and seeks to understand others' points of view. Communicates openly and honestly to all levels of the organization. Expresses ideas and exchanges information clearly and persuasively
- Problem Solving - Grasps new or unfamiliar concepts quickly and can effectively deal with complexity and ambiguity. Identifies issues in a constructive manner and recommends solutions. Uses innovative and novel approaches to find solutions
- Planning, Organising & Execution Prioritizes and plans work activities. Uses time efficiently. elati networking ability.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.