Skills: Student / Recent Grad, Geotechnical Engineer
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Durham, North Carolina, United States
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is currently recruiting an Entry-level Geotechnical Engineer for geotechnical engineering work to be based in our Durham, NC office. This individual will be part of our Engineered Construction team that supports the Department of Transportation and Industrial Sector clients locally and abroad. This position will require significant time in the field, away from the office. Field responsibilities may include subsurface investigations such as logging boreholes and observing CPTs and typical in-situ testing techniques, or observation of various geotechnical construction activities such as: general grading, installation of shallow and deep foundations, instrumentation installation and monitoring, soil-retaining structures, and soil-improvement. The candidate should feel comfortable interacting with clients, construction personnel, and sub-contractors as a professional representative of Wood.
- Perform engineering investigation and design support tasks under the direction of more senior engineering professionals
- Develop field data in support of geotechnical investigations and design as directed
Skills / Qualifications
T he individual is expected to have:
- B.S. in Civil Engineering with heavy emphasis on Geotechnical Engineering coursework (M.S. in Civil Engineering/Geotechnical Engineering preferred)
- North Carolina state driver's license (or immediate ability to receive one)
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- 0 to 2 years of practical geotechnical engineering experience (internship experience considered)
- E.I.T/F.E. preferred
- Strong written/oral communication skills
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
- Working knowledge of common geotechnical engineering software tools (e.g. SHAKE, Slope/W, L-Pile, A-Pile, SLIDE)
- Working knowledge of common geotechnical laboratory tests and the ability to interpret test data
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.