Posted: Nov 30, 2021
Posted: Nov 30, 2021
Skills: Design Engineer
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Midrand, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Senior Civil Designer with extensive experience in the Oil & Gas, Petrochemical or similar sector of the industry to provide support to our Client in the execution of projects.
- Production of Civil and Structural Smartplant 3D model and generation of Approved for Construction Civil and Structural drawings utilising Microstation CADD software in accordance with company requirements.
- Provides guidance and supervision to Civil Designers and Trainee Civil Designers as required.
- May perform the function of Lead Civil Designer on projects, or Section Lead Civil Designer on large or complex projects.
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Technical Design Ability - Completes technical design work using relevant design methods, Client and Corporate standards and specifications and data in line with Project requirements.
- Produces final Smartplant 3D civil models for earthworks, piling, foundations, superstructure, underground services, paving and buildings in accordance with engineering design sketches as provided by the Civil Engineering group.
- Produces final Smartplant 3D structural models for pipe-racks and pipe support steelwork, equipment support and access structures, vertical vessel circular access platforms and buildings in accordance with engineering design sketches as provided by the Civil Engineering group.
- Produces final civil deliverable drawings i.e. earthworks, piling, foundations, superstructures, underground services, paving and buildings inclusive of reinforcement detailing and reinforcement bending schedules where applicable. Drawings to be produced utilising design sketches as provided by Civil Engineering group and extracted views from the 3D model. All drawings to be produced in accordance with client, corporate and national standards, specifications and procedures as applicable.
- Produces final structural deliverable drawings i.e. pipe racks and pipe support steelwork, equipment support and access structures, vertical vessel circular access platforms and buildings. Drawings to be produced utilising design sketches as provided by Civil Engineering group and extracted views from the 3D model. All drawings to be produced in accordance with client, corporate and national standards, specifications and procedures as applicable.
- Reviews civil and structural clash reports and resolve clashes for areas of responsibility.
- May fulfil function of Lead Designer on projects.
- Assumes role of civil and structural checker as and when the need arises.
- Receives engineering design information and instructions from Principal / Lead Civil Designer as applicable.
- Leases with respective Civil Engineer on engineering related issues.
- Leases with allocated Civil Checker.
- Leases with lead, senior designers and designers from Piping, Electrical, Instrumentation, Vessels and Mechanical group as necessary.
- Assist the Chief Civil Designer with training of junior staff as appropriate.
- Perform such duties as may reasonably be assigned by the Chief Civil Designer.
Skills / Qualifications
- National Civil Diploma or equivalent.
- Intergraph Smartplant 3D Structural modelling software package experience.
- Bentley Microstation 3D CADD software package experience version 8 or later.
- 10 years minimum related industry experience in Civil and Structural draughting.
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Technical Design Ability - Guides and coaches others to achieve a high standard in Civil and Structural draughting using company, client and industry standards and data in line with Project requirements.
- Technical Expertise - Carries out draughting work to a high standard. Responsible for checking models and deliverables when the need arises and if requested. Has a sound knowledge over a broad range of civil engineering fields relevant to the project environment.
- Cross Discipline Project Team Interaction - Proactively works with other discipline designers/engineers.
- Understanding and meeting Schedule and Schedule dependencies - Accountable for deliverable production to suit project schedule.
- Commercial Awareness and Customer Focus - demonstrates increasing customer (client) focus, be aware of and responsive to customer (client) needs without sacrificing the project and Corporate objectives.
- Ability to take action consistent with available facts, constraints and anticipated consequences.
- Interpretation of Engineering Requirements - Takes responsibility for quality of the interpretation. Initiates design solutions.
- Initiative - Grasps new or unfamiliar concepts quickly and can effectively deal with complexity and ambiguity. Identifies issues in a constructive manner and recommends solutions. Uses innovative and novel approaches to find solutions
- Change and Adaptability - Gains awareness for, and an understanding of, the position of stakeholders. Readily adapts to changing circumstances
- Interpersonal Communications - Actively listens and seeks to understand others' points of view. Communicates openly and honestly to all levels of the organization. Expresses ideas and exchanges information clearly and persuasively
- Problem Solving - Grasps new or unfamiliar concepts quickly and can effectively deal with complexity and ambiguity. Identifies issues in a constructive manner and recommends solutions. Uses innovative and novel approaches to find solutions
- Planning, Organising & Execution Prioritizes and plans work activities. Uses time efficiently.
ip and networking ability.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.