Skills: Design Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Midrand, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Senior Instrument Designer with extensive experience in the Oil & Gas, Petrochemical or similar sector of the industry to provide support to our Client in the execution of projects.
- Technical Design Ability - Guides and coaches others to achieve a high standard in technical design using FW, client and industry standards and data in line with Project requirements.
- Technical Expertise - Demonstrates an on-going ability and interest to improve technically, maintaining current technical knowledge and cultivating relationships with technology providers. Responsible for checking models and deliverables. Provides support to Chief Engineers and feedback.
- Cross Discipline Project Team Interaction - Proactively works with other discipline designers/engineers. Working with lead engineer and other discipline leads at project meetings, internal/external and client resolving issues.
- Understanding and meeting Schedule and Schedule dependencies - Accountable for deliverable production to suit project schedule.
- Commercial Awareness and Customer Focus - Demonstrates increasing customer (client) focus, be aware of and responsive to customer (client) needs without sacrificing the project and Corporate objectives.
- Interpretation of Engineering Requirements - Takes responsibility for quality of the interpretation. Initiates design solutions.
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Produce and approve air distribution schedules and indicate positions of air manifolds on plot plans for drafting by the CAD operator.
- Design, review and approve the instrument cable block diagrams for drafting by the CAD Operator.
- Produce a cable drum schedule.
- Produce the design guidelines for the cable racking / routing drawings for drafting by CAD Operator. Review and approve the resultant drawings and model representation.
- Produce a cable schedule from the cable block diagram and project specifications / standards.
- Produce, review and approve sketches for control room and equipment room layouts for drafting by the CAD Operator.
- Develop the instrument design index based on EFD's and Instrument Index.
- Produce hand sketches of earthing philosophy diagrams, based on engineering input for drafting by CAD Operator.
- Using the instrument database and project specifications / standards, produce guidelines for the instrument hook-up drawings which are then generated by CAD Operator.
- Using the instrument database and project specifications / standards, produce guidelines for the instrument installation detail drawings.
- Produce, review and approve instrument location drawings based on the instrument database, EFD's and plant layout drawings.
- Develop / provide input on the 3D Model to clarify instrument requirements on the model inclusive of cable racking, junction boxes, air headers and field instrument placements.
- Produce, review and approve instrument loop diagrams and termination schedules utilising the In-Tools database.
- Produce and generate power distribution diagrams.
- Prroduce and generate panel layout detail drawings.
- Incorporate instrument supplier data received into instrument design database, termination schedules and loop diagrams.
- Provide mark-ups on mechanical / instrumentation interface drawings for backdrafting.
- Provide mark-ups on electrical / instrumentation interface drawings for backdrafting.
- Maintain the instrument design database and drawing register in a current project state.
- Produce enquiry requisitions for instrument cable and junction boxes.
- Assist in the preparation of the Instrument contract indirect BOM.
- Perform equipment, panel and cable inspections.
- Liaise with engineers to ensure design intent is implemented.
- Creation and validation of instrument design drawings.
- Resolve site queries relative to the instrument design, obtain redline markups and backdraft documents to As-built status.
- Assist in the preparation of Instrument 'End of Job' documentation.
- Perform any other duties assigned within reason by the Principle Designer / Chief Instrument Engineer.
Skills / Qualifications
- In-Tools 6.0 or Higher
- Ndip (Process Instrumentation) or equivalent.
- Smart Plant Review
- Microsoft Packages
- 5 Years minimum experience
- Initiative - Grasps new or unfamiliar concepts quickly and can effectively deal with complexity and ambiguity. Identifies issues in a constructive manner and recommends solutions. Uses innovative and novel approaches to find solutions
- Change and Adaptability - Gains awareness for, and an understanding of, the position of stakeholders. Readily adapts to changing circumstances
- Interpersonal Communications - Actively listens and seeks to understand others' points of view. Communicates openly and honestly to all levels of the organization. Expresses ideas and exchanges information clearly and persuasively
- Problem Solving - Grasps new or unfamiliar concepts quickly and can effectively deal with complexity and ambiguity. Identifies issues in a constructive manner and recommends solutions. Uses innovative and novel approaches to find solutions
- Planning, Organising & Execution Prioritizes and plans work activities. Uses time efficientlyti networking ability.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.