Skills: Modeling, Environmental Engineer
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Overview / Responsibilities
We are seeking to appoint an experienced and authoritative water resources professional with strong links across the water sector to lead our UK water resources service area delivering projects to water companies, regional groups, regulators and government in the UK. We support clients to holistically understand the resilience of their existing water resource systems and how this may change due to population growth, environmental pressures, under extreme droughts and through climate change impacts. We then support the development of best value plans through options identification, appraisal and prioritisation.
You will be responsible for updating our water resources strategy, leading the development of our water resources team, delivery of consultancy projects and project management. You will take a key role in business development and use your professional network to help deliver growth within the UK and internationally. Applicants will have a thorough understanding of the UK water resources planning process and a speciality in at least one water resource discipline (e.g. water resource modelling, hydrological modelling, climate change modelling, options appraisal, decision-making under uncertainty) and a proven track record of applying these skills on consultancy projects across the water sector such as for Water Companies, Regional Water Resources Groups, the Environment Agency, UKWIR and wider industry. The level of responsibility and seniority of this role can be tailored to fit the right applicant. We can be flexible on location in order secure the best person for the job, and can offer locations across the UK, including London, Reading, Bristol, Shrewsbury and Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
This is an exciting opportunity to make a significant contribution to the continued success and growth of our Wood's Water Management team who work across a wide range of services bringing together a wealth of staff knowledge and experience in water resources, hydrogeology, water quality, catchment management, hydroecology, hydrology and flood risk. We make a difference to our clients, society and the planet by providing high quality technical services and advice in the UK and internationally to government departments and agencies, IFI's, the water industry, and a wide range of other industrial sectors including power, transport, nuclear, mining, commercial and oil and gas.
As a key member of our Water Management team, you will be focused on setting the strategy, winning and delivering water resources work across the UK water sector and internationally. This will include leading the delivery of projects, often acting as project manager and the primary point of contact between Wood and our clients. Your work will be varied but will include technical, management and commercial responsibilities. Key responsibilities include:
- Setting the strategy for the future development of our water resources team.
- Leading water resources modelling projects that support the development of Water Resource Management Plans and Drought Plans for UK water companies.
- The selection and application of advanced decision-making tools and risk-based planning methods from the EA guidelines and UKWIR methodologies.
- Project management and acting as primary point of contact with our clients developing excellent professional relationships.
- Leading the preparation of winning proposals, and the development of new business influencing the future success of the wider team.
- Providing technical guidance, training and support to junior colleagues
- Playing a key role in growing Wood's technical capability, knowledge and innovation base to develop new services for our clients , you will be expected to keep up-to-date with the latest policy and regulatory guidelines
Skills / Qualifications
Skills / Experience
- Experience in water resources systems modelling, specifically in Aquator (but others such as PyWR or MISER would be beneficial)
- Experience in water resources planning or water resources modelling as well as analysis through the skilled use of associated tools
- Good understanding of the latest regulatory requirements of UK water resources management including the Water Resource Planning Guidelines
- You may already have gained some experience of the management of small projects, and/ or should have some interest in developing your project management skills
- You should have strong numerate and analytical skills, and be able to apply these to analysing problems and finding solutions to novel challenges
- Excellent communication skills and ability to write high quality concise reports
- Valid UK Driving Licence
- You will have a relevant degree-level qualification, potentially with a further post-graduate qualification
- You will have gained, or be working towards chartership with a relevant professional body
- Demonstrable experience in water resources planning in consultancy, Water Company, Regulatory or Academic fields
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.