Skills: Civil Engineering, Geologist, Environmental Engineer
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Overview / Responsibilities
Are you looking to step up in your career in environmental science and catchment-based water quality? Are you a problem solver working on solutions to environmental challenges for the surface water environment with an understanding of nature based and engineered solutions? Sustained growth in our water sector business means that we are looking to recruit into our Water Quality and Catchment Management team of scientifically minded and innovative people to help deliver on high quality projects.
Our team has an excellent reputation in the water quality protection field for water companies and regulators alike and this is an exciting opportunity to work on projects focused on the environmental impacts of water pollution for people and nature. We deliver water quality expertise on cross disciplinary projects linked into water resource management, flood risk, climate change impacts, and water policy within a UK based team and across the wider global Wood organisation. Our clients include UK water companies, Defra, DWI, Natural England, Natural Resources Wales, the Environment Agency, SEPA and Local Authorities. We are also currently working for the European Commission, World Bank and the environmental regulators of EU countries on water policy projects.
The location of this role is flexible, and we can offer office locations in London, Reading, Bristol, Shrewsbury, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Glasgow.
You will contribute to a diverse range of water-related projects, but the main focus of your work is likely to be in the following areas:
- Impact assessment of water company assets (wastewater) on sensitive habitats (SSSIs and SACs)
- Source-pathway-receptor analysis of diffuse pollution of surface and groundwater including new and emerging pollutants
- Nutrient neutrality assessments for local development plans and water cycle studies
- Catchment risk assessment and drinking water safety plans for drinking water abstractions from reservoirs and river intakes
- Planning, design and delivery of surface water quality monitoring networks for catchment management / baseline monitoring for EIA infrastructure projects
- Innovative projects trialling pollution prevention methods or building decision making tools for catchment managers who want to understand the impacts of mitigation measures
The role will be varied and challenging and is likely to include:
- Contribution to project design from proposal stage, project and task management to high quality report writing
- Client facing roles including communications and coordination of data collation and checking
- Monitoring network design and delivery including field-work (sampling and surveying) to our HSSE requirements, as well as quality assurance of our collected data and interpretation
- Numerical analysis of data including modelling using industry standard tools
- Preparation of reports and presentations
Skills / Qualifications
We are seeking a highly motivated, numerate individual with a strong interest in water chemistry and hydrology. This post will suit you if you have already established a career in environmental consultancy or have just completed post-graduate research in water quality and hydrology (MSc or PhD level) and are looking for your next step. You will have the ability to apply technical knowledge in analysing problems and finding solutions to new challenges.
Specifically, we would like you to have the following qualifications and experience:
- You will have a good degree-level qualification in a relevant subject, such as geography, geology, earth/environmental science or civil engineering. Post graduate experience is not essential, although an MSc or PhD in water chemistry or other relevant area would be advantageous
- You may already have gained some experience of the management of small projects, and/ or should have some interest in developing your project management skills
- You will have gained, or be working towards chartership with a relevant professional body
- You may have experience in the field of environmental water quality related to one or more of the following:
- nutrient diffuse and point source pollution of rivers and lakes
- impacts of sediment run-off on water quality and sediment cycling
- metal pollution of water courses (e.g. minewater discharges)
- water quality impacts on ecology and sensitive habitats
- lake hydrology and hydrochemistry including nutrient cycling
- understanding of nature based solutions and engineered solutions for preventing water pollution
- use of numerical models to model water pollution and the impacts of prevention measures
- Water quality sampling, monitoring design and data checking, analysis and interpretation
- You demonstrate excellent communication skills, including being able to write high quality, concise reports
- You have practical experience in at least some of the following: use of MS Office tools (Excel, Access); use of GIS packages such as ArcGIS.
Some level of exposure to the outputs from or direct experience of use of numerical models would be beneficial, e.g. SAGIS SIMCAT, MIKE, Infoworks, INCA, or the use of source apportionment tools such as Farmscoper or sediment run off models such as SCIMAP. Some knowledge of the Water Framework Directive and how this legislation is implemented in the UK would also be useful.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.