Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Chatham, Virginia, United States
Wood is currently sourcing for a Structural Welder to join our solar team in Chatham VA. Must have current structural welding certification.
Authorization to work lawfully in the US without sponsorship from Wood is required
You will be responsible for l aying out, aligning, and welding fabricated, cast, and forged components to assemble structural forms such as machinery frames, tanks, pressure vessels, furnace shells, buildings and pipe, according to blueprints and metallurgy. You must be capable of certifying on single process plate proficient in SMAW or GTAW welding processes.
Skills / Qualifications
- Selects type and size of metals or other related materials and equipment according to specifications
- Selects equipment and plans layouts, assembly, and welding, applying knowledge of geometry, physical properties of metal machining, weld shrinkage and welding techniques
- May be required to use Gas-Metal Arc, Flux-Cored Arc, Gas-Tungsten Arc, Submerged Arc, or Shielded Metal Arc welding processes
- Lays out, positions, aligns, and fits components together in various body positions
- Bolts, clamps and welds together metal components of products such as piping systems, plate, pipe and tube or structural shapes, using arc and arc gas welding equipment
- May weld in flat, horizontal, vertical, or overhead position
- May tack weld assemblies together
- Connects cable from welding unit to obtain amperage, voltage, slope and pulse as specified by procedure or supervisor
- Obtains specified electrode and inserts electrode into portable holder or threads consumable electrode wire through portable welding gun
- Starts power supply to produce electric current
- Strikes arc which generates heat to melt and deposit metal from electrode to work piece and join edges of work piece
- Manually guides electrode or gun along weld-line, maintaining length of arc and speed and movement to form specified depth of fusion and bead, as judged from color of metal, sound of weld, and size of molten puddle
- Examines weld for bead size and other specifications
- Capable of setting weld machine parameters and maintain weld machine in working condition
- Loads, transports and unloads material, tools, equipment, and supplies
- May assist in lifting, positioning, and securing of materials and work pieces during installation
- Performs minor maintenance or cleaning activities of tools and equipment
- Assists other mechanics as needed
- Respiratory protection is common and may be required
- Required to pass employer performance tests or standard tests to meet certification standards
- Performs only procedures certified in
- Responsible for observing and complying with all safety and project rules
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.