Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Portland, Maine, United States
Wood Resilient Environments is seeking an enthusiastic Mid-Level Mechanical Engineer to support our Mechanical Engineering practice within our North Atlantic Architectural Engineering (A/E) Team.
The ideal candidate will have a strong technical background in plumbing, HVAC, energy, and fire protection design as well as the experience, desire, and communication skills to support growth, engage with clients, collaborate across disciplines and offices, and build a successful long-standing career with the company.
Our A/E Team provides technical solutions for challenging projects and complex design problems, focused on providing sustainable, resilient, and energy efficient solutions for our clients and projects. Our projects include; building restoration, renovation, and new construction in commercial, municipal, federal, and industrial sectors. Examples of some of our recent projects include highly secure radar facilities, combined heat and power (CHP) plants, hospital renovations, office renovations, industrial warehouses and maintenance facilities, geothermal system designs, and upgrades to HVAC systems in historic buildings.
Key Responsibilities :
- Design HVAC, plumbing, and fire protection systems in accordance with local codes and standards and client requirements, specifically including ductwork, piping, and controls
- Prepare construction drawings, specifications, and engineer's cost estimates
- Calculate heating and cooling loads using energy modeling software
- Calculate energy consumption, savings, and life cycle analysis of HVAC systems using energy modeling software
- Select equipment and components for HVAC and plumbing systems
- Survey and evaluate mechanical systems in existing buildings
- Review existing drawings supplied by vendors, clients, and engineers and field verify accuracy and completeness
- Coordinate with other building design disciplines and work in a team environment
- Support proposal preparation and business development
- Work with junior staff to develop their engineering skills
Skills / Qualifications
- BS or Advanced Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years of Mechanical Engineering consulting experience
- Professional Mechanical Engineer registration
- Expertise through past experience in developing construction plans, specifications, cost estimates, schedules, and construction planning documents
- Familiarity with the current energy modeling software and equipment selection
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Open minded and fast learner
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Effective organizational and time management skills with the ability to work in a fast-paced, high volume and deadline-driven environment
- Must pass drug test, background check, and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving (MVR) policy.
- Must be willing and able to travel to project sites and meetings throughout the US, typically up to one week at a time.
- General electrical and fire protection system knowledge is a plus.
- Interest or experience in solar design, LEED certification, and energy efficiency are a plus.
- Experience in commissioning and retro-commissioning
Why join our Portland Wood Team? We are a close-knit team of dedicated professionals working to find solutions for our diverse customer base! Our knowledgeable and skilled Architects and Engineers make us known in the industry and drive our recognition for delivering high quality and technical excellence. We realize this success is the result of the efforts and abilities of our people. Our Portland, Maine team takes pride in maintaining a small family-like environment, while also having the structure, resources, and opportunities of a large international organization. Our Portland office is right in the heart of Downtown Portland; a diverse and lively city with an outstanding restaurant scene and lots to do if you're an outdoor enthusiast or love the Arts - something for everyone! What is considered the hub of Wood's Northeast Region, we are looking to grow our team to support our current workload as well as advance our strategic planning towards our future vision - please consider joining us! www.woodplc.com
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.