Skills: Chemist, Laboratory Ops / Tech
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Aberdeen, United Kingdom
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: United Kingdom
Our client is looking for a Chemist for a contract position, located in Aberdeen.
Oil and gas production involves numerous technical challenges that can be mitigated though the use of production chemicals. The research and development team supports customers through developing chemical and engineering solutions to their problems. The conditions responsible for those problems are recreated in the laboratory in order to develop solutions by the different research teams. In this role a candidate will be expected to deliver innovative solutions to customers problems using a suite of test equipment under the guidance of senior team members. This role also entails effective communication and documentation of all laboratory work performed.
This role offers the chance to take laboratory testing/analysis and apply the findings in oil and gas production systems. There is opportunity to develop novel products for deployment in the field in addition to new testing methodologies for both in field monitoring and laboratory analysis. Multiple disciplines could be interconnected when looking for solutions to problems so career development to adjacent product lines (corrosion, biocides, oxygen scavenging etc...) is possible. Participation in conferences and industry events to present novel research is also encouraged.
A chemist's duties would include but are not limited to:
- Project management,
- Conducting laboratory tests to complete project requests,
- Technical report writing,
- Database management,
- Learning product applications,
- Screening and/or assisting with developing products,
- Maintaining cleanliness and housekeeping of the laboratory,
- Maintain calibration records for equipment,
- Implement and follow company safety practices,
- Use COSHH and risk assessments for all chemicals and tasks performed in the lab,
- Maintaining tests protocols.
Most of these tasks would be under the guidance of a more senior member of the team.
- Manages complexity, cultivates innovation, drives results, nimble learning
- Minimum Education and Experience:
- BSc Hons in chemistry or chemical engineering
Desirable Education and Experience:
- Previous experience of working with oilfield chemical related projects
- Previous experience of working in a laboratory
- Previous experience of managing day-to-day projects
- Good computer skills, must have experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Good oral and written communication skills, speak and write English
- Long periods of standing conducting experiments in a laboratory